News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

spectrum 2-8-0 wires cut

Started by rrbob, May 26, 2007, 11:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrbob

Bach-man:
I recently purchased an HO Spectrum Southern  2-8-0 that someone  had cut the plugs that are used to connect the engine to the tender. Is there a wireing diagram that shows which wires from the engine connect to which wires in the tender? Don't know why someone would do this. Thanks for your help!
Bob D.

SteamGene

Are all six wires to both plugs cut?  The wires should be color coded.  Black to black, red to red, blue to blue, etc.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

MarcF

If you have the Soundtraxx Tsunami 2-8-0,  all the wires a black. You'll have to figure it out or have a short.   NO wiring diagram availlable to peruse that I could find.

2 wires from around  the draw bar are for power pickup. All others are motor and that dim led.

rikc9

Quote from: rrbob on May 26, 2007, 11:20:38 PM
Bach-man:
I recently purchased an HO Spectrum Southern  2-8-0 that someone  had cut the plugs that are used to connect the engine to the tender. Is there a wireing diagram that shows which wires from the engine connect to which wires in the tender? Don't know why someone would do this. Thanks for your help!
Bob D.

I have a HO Spectrum 4-4-0 and maybe the wiring is the same. My engine has a connector with two pins and a connector with four pins. I think the two pin one is rail pickup and the four pin one is motor power and headlight. When I get home I will do a resistance check to verify.

rikc9

I just searched the 'Net and it looks like the 2-8-0 has one connector.

rikc9

rikc9

The only thing I can think of is to ring out the leads using an ohm meter. On paper put down what each pin on a 9 pin JST connector of the decoder is used for. There are six wires connected to the engine. Two for pickup power, two for the motor, and two for the headlight.
Find some way to mark each wire. I have done this before but it takes time and patience.

You did not say if the wires from the engine had one or two connectors and exactly where the wires are cut.

Rikc9