News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SP GS4

Started by kevin22, October 11, 2010, 08:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin22

Hello All,
I am curently interested in purchasing the SP GS4 Daylight engine, and would like anyone's feed back and or videos of this product. I have heard great things about all Williams by Bachamn engines in general and best part they are all in my price range. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

TheBigT

Kevin22,

I received the GS-4 last Christmas and really enjoy it.  It runs and runs the whistle sounds good.  The bell however sounds like a ball peen hammer hitting a steel beam.  It looks great and it's a heavy loco.  I have replaced the head lamp with an LED one and have added a flashing LED mars light to it.  I am also going to add some diodes between the power pick up and the motor to slow it down a bit so passenger car lights light up more.  The loco tends to run fast at lower voltage. 

I recently picked up some Williams Aluminum SP Passenger cars from a show and they look incredible with this loco.  Overall I give this loco 9 out of 10.

Joe Satnik

Dear Kevin and T,

A big discussion on single motor speed reduction in this thread, if you haven't seen it:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13633.0.html

The poor bell sound might be "clipping" distortion from low track voltage, and here again, slowing the motor down (but letting the lights, sound board and direction control stay at track voltage) would help in that area.

To achieve that, put the diodes in the motor circuit, as shown in the linked thread above. 

Hope this helps.

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.