News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New coupler

Started by inkaneer, October 16, 2010, 09:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Bach-man

Dear Keith,
It was, and we can hope the Scale line will follow suit...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

inkaneer

Quote from: the Bach-man on November 08, 2010, 09:43:59 PM
Dear Keith,
It was, and we can hope the Scale line will follow suit...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Seems like getting a straight answer from the Bachmann is a waste of time.  Surely someone at Bachmann knows whether there will be a "T" shank.   As for me I have seen these couplers on the 70 ton switcher and their size makes me say thanks, but no thanks!  I'm sticking with the Micro Train's.

sumfred

I also have this new coupler on my new 2-6-6-2 H4.  It couples ok, but trying to uncouple using the magnetic uncoupler is a hopeless task.
I'll replace it with the trusted Micro-Train coupler.
Actually a shame as this engine is superb otherwise!!!

Fred

keithwarltier

Hi Fred,

Could you please say which magnetic uncoupler are you trying to use.

Regards,
Keith

sumfred

am using the standard MT permanent magnet mounted between the rails.
Have no problems using the MT couplers.

Fred

keithwarltier

I've had mixed results with permanent magnets.  Are there any bad effects on an engine motor if parked over one?  Page 63 of the 3/10 N Gauge Journal describes my experience with the Kadee 708 Hon3 & N Scale Electric Uncoupler.  There have been very good results so far particularly with DCC engines.  I'm hoping for similar with the new Bachmann Farish couplers.

Keith   

sumfred

looked into the electromagnet uncoupler but its size (to large) did not fit my layout.
I try not to park over a magnet for that reason. (motor influence & coupler being in the uncoupled stage.

Fred

keithwarltier

This sounds like a need for a Kadee B-13 (renumbered UEM-4 about 40 years ago)  2 ½" x ½" x ¼" between the rails HO Electric Uncoupler.  I use these wrapped in Scotch Tape in place of the sleepers directly below the rails in N Gauge when cutting through the track support is not an option.

Kadee no longer stocks the UEM-4.  Finding a dealer of previously owned equipment who can supply them or Google or Ebay are all long shots.  Given MicroTrains has no N Scale electric uncoupler support but Kadee does, item # 708, your best try could be emailing Sam the Answer Man at Helpful Hints at www.kadee.com describing the problem as an HOn3 requirement.

Keith