DCC for Williams by Bachmann O Gauge

Started by stargazerm42, October 17, 2010, 08:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainkrzy

The old mechanical will get magnetized over time and will not cycle.

Len

Quote from: trainkrzy on October 25, 2010, 07:51:45 AM
  The old mechanical will get magnetized over time and will not cycle.

Possibly, on a 3-position unit. The stainless steel used 'back when' wasn't the same quality as todays, so over 30 - 50 years the plunger can retain some magnetism and 'hang' occasionally.

More often a sticking plunger is caused by dirt build up in the solinoid. A shot of contact cleaner will usually clear that up. If not, it could be a magnetized plunger.

If the plunger shaft has become magnetized, it can usually be cleared with a "head degauzer" for cassette, VCR, and reel-to-reel (giving my age away with that one) tape decks.

Worst case, except for a few prewar locos, you can replace the plunger/pawl/pin assembly with a new one from Lionel (600-0100-048) made with modern stainless steel. Clean the solinoid bore out with contact cleaner on a cotton swab before installing the new plunger.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

phillyreading

It seems that Lionel has gotten away from having any kind of standards in three rail O gauge as to size as well! Or is it me?
Do we need to start using terms like; five/quarter scale, full scale, semi scale, to describe some of the offerings in O gauge made by MTH or Lionel and others, like K-Line(1/55 scale articulated steam engine).
I don't mind all the different stuff being made, it's good for the hobby, but it's the terms that people or companies try to use that makes for major league confusion.
Also why can't there be just one system for command control?

Lee F.

Len

Quote from: phillyreading on October 25, 2010, 03:23:15 PM
Also why can't there be just one system for command control?

Lee F.

Now that's a really good question!

As for the sizes, my rule of thumb is if it's anywhere close to the size of a 1:48 Atlas-O car or loco it's 'O'. If it's not that big, it's O27.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.