News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Consisting

Started by chuff_n_puff, February 06, 2007, 07:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuff_n_puff

How important is it to consist according to consisting rules? I have (2) F7 units that I just assigned the same number to and they do fine. I checked the individual speeds on them and they matched perfect. Do I need to use the MU programming mode, or is my way just as good?

FFJOHNL312

C&P:
Your method is absolutely fine. Many of us DCCers have used this method at one time or another. A common example is assigning an A and B unit the same number when operationally, it is unlikely they will be seperated.
John Loesch
DGLE? We don't need no stinkin' DGLE!

Jake

I don't see a problem either. If i had a complete acela set, (i don't have anything right now) with two powered units and all I'd assign them to the same address. I see it as a good thing for units that will seldom or never be separated.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Hoople

Okay, why is your text scrolling? ??? ???
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

tigerthelion

I have two pairs of locos consisted on my layout, and it works great, I am very impressed with the whole thing as my DCC fleet just grew from three to six...

Tiger

Jim Banner

What you are doing is generally called "basic" consisting and it works with any DCC system.  When you talk about rules, I suspect you are talking about consisting in the command station.  Digitrax calls it Universal consisting, and I too find it a pain.  The "what's on top" reminds me of the old "Who's on first" routine.  Decoder aided assisting (Digitrax uses the term Advance consisting) is my favorite.  With on-the-main (OPs mode) programming, you can make up the consist on the fly and it works very much like your Basic consisting in that you can put the consist on a different layout with a different DCC system, and the consist still works.  The biggest difference is that you can also program which functions will work on what locomotive so that if you have 3 or 4 locomotives working together, only one will display a headlight, ditch lights, etc.  Not all of my decoders support Advanced consisting, and it may be a while before they do - I still haven't finished putting decoders in the whole fleet.

Scrolling text is an option with BBC code.  But it slows down your reading and makes your brain rot.  Personally, I suggest you skip any posting that scrolls, including this one.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

tigerthelion

Yeah the scrolling thing isn't very fun...

Tiger

Paul M.

There was an article in Model Railroad News a few months back about DCC consisting.

PS-

Is this how you get it to scroll?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific