News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

big steamer failed to negotiate turnout

Started by rayt, October 26, 2010, 11:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayt

Hi Folks,

I am new to the forum, and would like to get advise from you experience guys.

I just bought a Bachmann 4-8-4 Southern, it ran great, but it failed to negotiate a #6 turnout. It ran straight without any problem but could not turn out to the siding. At slower speed, I noticed  that the first guide wheel was guided on the rail but the following guide wheel derailed. At higher speed, the whole loco came out of the track.

I have checked the wheels with the NMRA gauge and found that they all within the gauge. The same layout, basically a big oval with a parallel bypass, was ran by another Spectrum 2-10-2 without problem.

Please give me some advise as to what I should do to adjust the loco so that it can run through the turnout properly.

Thank you in advance for your advise.

Raymond

bobwrgt

Take a look at the front coupler pin and make sure it is not low and hitting the switch or the rail. If it is bend it up  or cut it off.
The wheel spacing on the 4-8-4 is longer that the 2-10-2 and the 2-10-2 has a driver that is blind ( no flanges) to allow it to make tight turns.
Also make sure that the connections between engine and tender are not restricting the rear of the cab from swinging around the curve.
A #6 turnout might be to tight for a 4-8-4.

Bob

rayt

lirrman

Even though both sets of pilot wheels are in gage, they may be out of alignment.  Check the alignment.  You may have to adjust one set of wheels on its axle.
LIRRMAN

lirrman

It's me again.  Just read the post on the 2-10-2 pilot wheels.  You may want to refer to that post also.
LIRRMAN

lmackattack

A number 8 would be better but that number 6 should be ok for that loco at slower speeds?

Check the front pilot truck and see if it is interfearing with the frame. if not check that it is free to move side to side and up and down. if it has a tab that holds it to the loco it may be bent. if that all looks ok. check the rear of the loco/tender aera for interfearence.  if that looks ok start looking at the switch for issues. is it perfectly flat? it should be flat from each track that runs thru it. also check the point rails to see if its helping the wheels ride up and leave the rail. make sure the point rails are bent inwards so that the wheels cant ride up the rails. Do other locos have trouble with this switch?   

rayt

Thank you Imackattack and lirrman for your reply.

This is one of the 2 steamers I got from Bachmann at the moment, the 2-10-2 had no problem running through the turnout. All other diesel locomotives (American) and steamers ( European ) I got have no problem.

Definitely, the size of 4-8-4 is much much bigger than all other  locomotives. May be this is one of the reason.

Anyway, I'll follow your guide lines and check it thoroughly.

Doneldon

rayt-

Check the gauge of the switch tracks, too.

-- D

rayt

Yes, the switch was slightly out of gauge. When I wedged the switch rail against the stock rail tightly, the 4-8-4 could run through smoothly.

Thank you very much to you all.

This is a very good learning exercise for me.