News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

BLACK SMOKE

Started by csmith, October 26, 2010, 11:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csmith

has any company made smoke fluid that produces darker smoke. the white smoke doesn't seam that real to me

lmackattack

not that I have seen or heard of.

To be honest I do like puffing smoke from the MTH and BLI mfg. but only in small amounts and at slow speed so you can hear and see the chuff. great for photos or putting on a show, However the soot that it leaves behind is a PITA to clean off of the rails.

Steam Freak

I'm going to guess the reason darker or black smoke hasn't been done yet is because of the chemical properties.

Doneldon

Smitty-

It's also true that, artists' renderings and many photos notwithstanding, most of the "smoke" from steam locos is really steam.  The black smoke only comes when new fuel is added to the firebox or the fireman throws a shovel of sand in so it scours the soot out of the boiler tubes.
                                                                                                               -- D

RAM

black smoke is caused by too much fuel and not enough air.

jbsmith

None that I am aware of.
I imagine it would have been done by now if practicable.
Chemical properties would have something to do with it,,like making the kind fumes that are ,shall we say are not good for ones health. Even more so than the traditional smoke we know now. but that is pure speculation.

There Are scented smoke fluids out there however, including one that is coal scented.

rogertra

Quote from: RAM on October 27, 2010, 10:56:20 PM
black smoke is caused by too much fuel and not enough air.

Though much loved by railfans, especially North American railfans, black smoke is a sign of a poor and inefficient firing technique.  Too much fuel and not enough air is a sign or poor firing.

When being correctly fired, a steam locomotive should exhibit a faint light grey haze at the stack.  In winter, you will see clouds of billowing white steam but this is condensate, not smoke and is a function of air temperature and not firing technique.  However, seeing some black smoke while coal is being applied to the fire is natural, especially on hand fired engines but this should clear as soon as the fireman ceases to fire.