News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ DCC Command limitations?

Started by JimInMichigan, November 06, 2010, 03:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimInMichigan

What are the limits of the EZ Commmand? For my use, I do not plan on more than 3 or 4 Engines ( not sure on sounds yet, might just go with DDC only ) and 100 ft of track. I am not planning on any DDC switching ( I'll most likely go with manual ).

Will the basic EZ Command setup run what I am planning on?

Will I need a power booster?

simkon

The E-Z Command DCC System can only handle 3 DCC locos or 1 DCC & 1 DC loco or 1 DCC sound loco & 1 DCC loco simultaneously without a booster. The distance is not an issue, as you can always add extra feeders. If you want to run 4 DCC locos for sure or any sound locos, you should invest in a booster, but if you are only going to run 1 to 3 DCC only locos (no sound) then you will not need a booster.

JimInMichigan

Extra feeders...by this, do you mean the feeder wires being fed to the track? If so, I plan on a feeder wire every 3 feet or so, all connected the main wire, run under the table ( did that make sense? ).

If I run 3 Loco's, will the lighting operate with the DDC command? I read there was a lmit of 10 commands? I'm not aure how that works.

simkon

You can run 3 DCC locos fine, you can set each to a different address between 1-9 and use f1 to dim the light & f10 (f0) to toggle them on and off. And that is what I was talking about when I mentioned feeders.

JimInMichigan

So I can run 3 Loco's with sound ( and lights ), " if " I add a booster, correct?

If so, what booster is recommended?

simkon

Yes with a booster you can run several sound locos simultaneously. I got a Bachmann booster two years ago for $75 on ebay, but I would say buy the cheapest one you can find, pretty much any booster will work.

JimInMichigan

Amp size booster recommened? Seems there is a large price difference between the 3amp and 5 amp models.

And let me ask about the functions again. If I want to run 3 Loco's with sound. Each Loco has 2 sounds ( engine and horn ). So thats 3 functions ( train power, and 2 sounds ) per Loco? Or would each Loco have 10 functions available to them?

Sorry for all the queastions. Just want to make sure I understand how this works and would be happy with the EZ command, and not one of the more expensive controllers.

JimInMichigan

Controlling Locomotive Functions:

In DCC you can control many additional functions in a locomotive in addition to speed and direction.  Bachman Decoder Equipped Locomotives allow you to turn on and off the locomotive headlight as well as dim the headlight. Other DCC locomotives can have many more functions for the control of sound, special lighting effects and even coupler control.  E-Z Command can control up to nine independent functions.

Press the yellow Function button. This button toggles between function control mode and selecting a locomotive to operate mode.

The flashing LEDs adjacent to the button indicates the address of the train under control. When the led is flashing you are in function control mode.

F10 switches the basic lights function on and off. On most decoders this is directional and is useful guide to the direction that a train will move when the control knob is turned.

F1 to F8 control further functions on customer fitted advanced specification decoders.  (F1 dims the headlight for Bachman decoder equipped locomotives.)

When you are through controlling functions and you desire to select a new locomotive to control press the yellow button again and the address led will become solid indicating that the system is in address mode.

Found it, thanx.

OldTimer

Advice is only worth what you pay for it, but I'd like to make a suggestion.  DCC is much more than running multiple locomotives independently.  Since it seems that you are sort of inexperienced with DCC, it would be a good idea to go to your LHS and find a book or two on DCC.  An excellent one is called The DCC Guide, by Don Fiehmann, published by Kalmbach.  

Then I'd suggest that you visit the web sites of the different DCC manufacturers and try to get a feel for the different capabilities of the various systems.  Besides Bachmann, a list of DCC manufacturers would include, but would not be limited to, NCE, Lenz, Digitrax, and MRC.  You can find information about Bachmann's EZ Command and Dynamis systems right here.

Getting going with DCC is not inexpensive, and almost all systems have hidden costs you can't know about until you do some homework.  You'll feel a lot better about spending your money once you have a better idea about what you're getting for your buck.  Good luck.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

NWsteam

It only has 10 functions and it can't do programming! You will find this to be a major hindrance as you get deeper into the world of DCC. I thought it would be great for my first, small 6x8 layout. It is nice, but as I bought locomotives with more capabilities I realized how lacking EZ Command is. My new Paragon2 Y6b has 28 functions and I can only access the first 10...Very frustrating. Also I can't do CV programming. (i.e. - Change the volume of sound, change breaking speed, etc.) Many people will argue this is too advanced for beginning in DCC. That may/may not be true but you don't always stay a beginner. If you plan to stay in the hobby spend the money up front...that way you aren't disappointed down the road.

-Brad

Doneldon

Michi-Jim-

The EZ DCC unit has only limited capacity, unless you invest more money in a booster, and essentially no ability to let you change decoder settings.  For the price of an EZ-DCC and a booster, which still won't allow programming, you can step up to one of several more powerful and versatile systems, including Bachmann's own Dynamis.  I used an EZ-DCC for my young grandson for its ease of operation, but then I can do programming on my own set-up so he doesn't need that capability.  I think the EZ-DCC is great for what it is intended to be but I'm also convinced that most modelers will outgrow it pretty fast.

Also, you don't need track feeders every three feet, especially if you're using three-foot sections of flex-track.  I feed into a rail joiner and allow only one track joint from the power supply but that can work out to as much as 12 feet between feeders.

-- D

Joe323

I use EZ Command on my small layout but my demands at this point are still very limited.  Primarily I wanted to be able to keep multiple locos on the track while running one.  Beyond that I see a more powerful advanced unit in my future.

jward

for me the biggest drawback to ez command is its limited functionability. it is probably the most stripped down, basic dcc system you can buy. there is no path forward to upgrading the system without replacing the ez command. you'd be much better off with the dynamis, or if entry level is what you want, digitrax (zephyr) and nce both offer starter sets that can be integrated with their more sophisticated systems if you upgrade later. nce's entry level system can be used as an additional throttle on their other systems, and the digitrax unit can also be used that way, or as a booster.....

i think that ez commznd would be more useful if it had those paths to upgrade available. i'd like to at the very least be able to use an ez command as an additional throttle on the dynamis....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

JimInMichigan

Thanx for all the replies.

The EZ command might work well for me. Sound is a cool novelty, and I might like it...for the first few uses. But after that, I see myself turning the sound off. So between that and the cost of the sound Loco's, I am pretty sure I'm going to go without sound. Without sound, I'm told I can run 3 DCC Loco's at one time. Thats more than enough for what I want. I might end up with 5-6 Loco's, but I know for a fact I wont be running them all at once. And I'm on the fence on if I want the expense of DDC controlled turnouts or going manual.

There are no other funtions on a DCC non-sound Loco that I need to worry about is there ( besides lighting )?

jward

adjustments to speed control settings would be an example of a non sound function you might want to play with. you can get all your locomotives to run at the same speed at any given throttle setting.

another one is MU capability. need 2 or more locoomotives on a train? you can run them as an MU'd consist. i believe with ez command you'd have to set both locomotives to the same address to do this. with other systems you can temporarily MU them together.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA