News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ DCC Command limitations?

Started by JimInMichigan, November 06, 2010, 03:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf5117

I don't want to start a conflict here . I have a 5x9ft layout with about 60ft of track on the table . with an upper 18"rad  oval with 2 turnouts all tied into my EZ command dcc controller . I also have most all Bachmann dcc locomotive's . I agree with the cv programming on other units fine tuning you decoders . I would love to have a better dcc system .but as for now I have no feeders no booster .and for the past 3 years I run 5 strings with lights 50% throttle and none of my reliable bachmann loco's have given me any problems. granted I used another controller for my accessories . for the money it's a good little starter unit .

with the EZ command when you address and start your 1st string moving and then decide to start another string .your 1st string will be at the speed it was when  you addressed the 2nd loco and so forth . when you go to switch lights on and off it gets a little confusing . going from addressed loco to function then the 10 address for light function .but it gets easier as time goes on . if you stick with Bachmann dcc equip locos you in my opinion won't have any problems with the EZ command controller running your loco's

mf5117

I forgot to mention I run a ho 11 car gp40 consist  "2 gp40's" ,they are on the same address an FT a-b unit with 50ft passenger  cars on the same address . a gp38 string a sd45-2 another gp40 string and 2 ge 70 ton switchers .I have ran all of these at once with my EZ command with no problems .9 locos It was a chore but I did it . I couldn't keep up with all of them and had to hit the AH-OH button the red stop button . Yampa Bob liked his and I like mine . If I grow and get bigger like I wish to someday then I will upgrade ...

simkon

Mark, you ran all of those simultaneously without a booster? Are the passenger cars lighted?

Joe323

Quote from: jward on November 08, 2010, 03:40:12 PM
adjustments to speed control settings would be an example of a non sound function you might want to play with. you can get all your locomotives to run at the same speed at any given throttle setting.

another one is MU capability. need 2 or more locomotives on a train? you can run them as an MU'd consist. i believe with ez command you'd have to set both locomotives to the same address to do this. with other systems you can temporarily MU them together.

This is relatively minor issue as changing the address back and forth isn't a big deal except that you have to remove all the other locos on the track so they don't change as well.

I have a related question though:  On the new AK & J Rwy I am going to run 7 locos.
1 GP 38-2, 1 GP -40 2 GE 70 ton switchers 2 GE 45 ton switchers and a proto 2000 subway car converted as a track geometry car after I install a decoder.  Now given the physical limitations of my layout I expect to run no more then 2 at a time but I read that DCC equipted locos sitting idle consume some power.  I was wondering if this will be too much for my EZ command and should I upgrade or get a booster?

simkon

I know DC locos that idle take power, but I'm not sure about DCC ones unless you have ones with sound or leave the lights on. A cheaper solution would be just to isolate your sidings and add a toggle switch if necessary.

Jim Banner

Yes, the decoders in DCC locomotives draw power even when the locomotive is stopped awaiting orders.  No, the amount of power a few locomotives draw at idle will not overload your E-Z Command.  A string of lighted passenger cars or a line of idle locomotives with their lights on might use as much power as a running locomotive, especially if the lights were incandescent and there were many of them.

Sound locomotives draw more power at idle because of the added sound system.

If you run into the situation where an idle locomotive or two break the camel's back in the power department, consider installing an isolated track with a toggle switch to turn its power off.  Locomotives or lighted cars stored on this track cannot draw power when the switch is off.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Joe323

Simkon, Jim Isolated sidings = Good idea thanks

Joe

Doneldon

Michi-Jim-

I put a small roundhouse and garden tracks on my grandson's layout with all tracks controlled by a rotary switch which makes only one live track at a time.  As long as he sends unused locos to the roundhouse, all of his idle locos are off line and drawing no current.
                                                                                                           -- D

mf5117

no my passenger cars aren't lighted and I use a seperate power source for my switches .I posted a video of one layout I had running a couple of consists and running the f units and the switchers . I personally haven't really had any problems with my EZ command .I did run feeders off of some terminal railers I had bought . but I didn't really notice a difference with or without then . I do agree if you have lighted cars and use the power from the track .yes you might to need to add a little more power or a booster . like I said my ho diesels are mostly all dcc bachmann's . I do feel if you install your own decoders and run atlas or some other brand and upgrade on a dcc controller might be your route togo . I will try to repost the video to this topic today or tommorrow .been pretty wrapped up in my g scale venture lately ....

mf5117

I think this is the video I poster running with EZ command

simkon

I think if you have any grades or are running longer trains then there would be a greater load. I think because you have to grades and your trains are all pretty short that you can get away with running 5 or 6 locos simultaneously, but on my layout I had large grades and huge trains and I could only manage running 2 or rarely 3 Bachmann DCC locos simultaneously without overloading the system.

mf5117

at one point a total of 6 locos are running  . click on the picture and it will take you to my photo bucket

mf5117

I can see with grades .mine is flat have done some changes and have a 4% grade also i added .when i get to that point and start popping the breakes on the on the cord rail . just remember electrical things run on smoke and when the smoke gets let out it time to fix the problem .but over all im happy so far with my EZ command

richg

Quote from: mf5117 on November 10, 2010, 06:27:29 PM
at one point a total of 6 locos are running  . click on the picture and it will take you to my photo bucket

I would suggest just to copy the IMG code and post that code here, not your complete site.

Rich

mf5117

thanks Rich I'll do that .you always have my back .and thank you mark f