News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which DCC System? Hornby or Bachmann?

Started by SodorAdventures, November 12, 2010, 05:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SodorAdventures

Hey guys,

I am in a dilemma. I am starting on my christmas list, (dont ask why, I got bored   )  and I was wondering , for the price, is Hornby Select the way to go. Because it is cheaper and, well, nicer looking(personal preference), although, I am not sure weather Compatibility with decoders and having to buy Hornby decoders ( I don't mind, and they are actually very cheap compared to the ones in the us), but I don't know, I really don't know. And also, I dont know if decoders fit in all my bachmann models (I know they will fit in Hornby though) 

Thanks, Sodoradventures(Tanner)
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

OldTimer

Have you read the manual for the Select and compared that to the manual for the EZ Command?  Very interesting.  Look here:
http://static.hornby.com/files/select-instructions-manual-274.pdf
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

SodorAdventures

Quote from: Hunt on November 13, 2010, 12:24:10 AM
Unless current Hornby Select unit has been changed to be more compatible with NMRA DCC specifications consider it a proprietary digital command system not DCC. Thus plan on having to use only Hornby digital command products with it.

I can deal with that, but do you think there is a quality difference?
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

jdmike

I would step up to either the Bachman Dynamis system or look into the NCE Powercab intro system.  That is what I am using and I am very pleased with it, very easy to understand and operate.  Manual is written in easy to understand terms and language.  I use a mix of TCS and NCE decoders along with QSI Revolution and MRC sound decoders.   Good luck in whatever system you chose, just make sure its a NMRA compliant system, makes finding decoders and dealing with issues much easier.  Mike

hawaiiho

I have two layouts. One 6 X 10 with which I am using the Bachmann Dynamis and a 5 X 8 layout on which  I am using the NCE PowerCab.

I prefer the NCE PowerCab, but the power output limits the size of the layout more than the Dynamis.

So, if your initial layout is fairly limited, I would recommend the NCE PowerCab. If you decide to expand, you can always

add the Smart Booster(SB 3a). My larger layout is a conversion from DC and at the time the SB 3a did not exist.

The PowerCab will read CV's and the Dynamis will not. The PowerCab programing is more user friendly.

The PowerCab will also accommodate control and programing with a laptop computer.

The biggest plus for the Dynamis(other than more power) is that is is wireless. The PowerCab is tethered.

They are very close in price.

Hope this helps.

Rashputin

At least try out MRC before settling on a system.  I don't know anyone who has been disappointed after purchasing either the wireless or the wired.  It seems like the easiest to use of all of them.  As with so much else in this hobby, though, it comes down to mostly personal preference and what you like using.  If it's comfortable in your hand and you can understand how to use it without having to read a bundle of manuals you'll be happy with what you settle on.

Regards