HO vs O scale or gauge, and other beginner questions.

Started by Soldierdoc1, November 15, 2010, 12:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soldierdoc1

I am interested in getting into model trains. I have liked them since I was a youngster, and now I feel comfortable spending time and money on it. I bought a small starter set: Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer Freight Train Set, and I have realized since my purchase, that the HO is a more popular scale. My question is; Will HO and O work on the same track, and will Fast Track work with EZ Track, and what tracks are compatible. I would like to fill a 12x12 room eventually.
I would also like to  know a good resource for trains, tracks, accessories, etc...
What kind of trains should I be looking for? Is it a mortal sin to mix and match?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Greg G
Germany

ebtnut

For starters, HO and O are completely different scales.  HO is 1:87, while in the U.S. O scale is 1:48.  I believe it is 1:43 in Europe.  Lionel trains are not built to scale (they are essentially toys), though they run on O gauge track.  However, the 3-rail track uses A.C. current, while most scale trains use DC (Marklin excepted). 

I would suggest going to HO, since scale O takes up a lot of space.  12 x 12 is a nice size room for a medium size HO layout.  I suggest trying to keep your curves to about 24" minimum radius for both appearances and for better operation.  Also try and find a good hobby shop that features trains, and ask for some help and guidance.

OldTimer

If you are in the military, you might find a model railroad club where you're stationed.  If not, you might be able to track down a German club where you could learn some of the basics.  Their trains look different, but the principles are the same.  

The NMRA (National Model Railroad Association)'s beginner's page is here and will answer a lot of questions:    http://www.nmra.org/beginner/

Good luck and happy railroading!!!
OldTimer

Just workin' on the railroad.

simkon

HO scale is cheaper, takes up less room, isn't to hard to work with, and has much more products available at a good price point than O scale.

Soldierdoc1

Thank you to all who replied. I will consider all of this in my future purchases.

tac

Quote from: ebtnut on November 15, 2010, 01:12:53 PMFor starters, HO and O are completely different scales.  HO is 1:87, while in the U.S. O scale is 1:48.  I believe it is 1:43 in Europe. 

British 0 scale is 1/43rd - European 0 scale is 1/45th.

tac
www.ovgrs.org
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund