News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question from Italy! New track for GP50 ??

Started by sonictrain66, December 16, 2010, 05:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonictrain66

Dear Sir,

I write from Italy I use N Bachmann models for my Italian production  and normally I buy from Ebay many diesel locos like GP50 GP40 and U36B.

by the last purchase I found in the truck  (for only GP 50 Union Pacific  Product Code: 61251) a new configuration that remember old solution like a 1,5mm wheels shaft and
separate reed contact. The model running very well but the box for coupler is changed and so  I can not add the coupler "Arnold  type".

I made my model using only:  motors and truck  and wheels and I want know if this implementation interesting all Bachmann product or not,  because I need know this information before modfiy anticipate  the tools :-\.

I ask the forum in the hope you can help me !

Best Regards from Italy  :)
Lorenzo Colli
www.locomodels.it

p.s  I have many GP 50 GP40 and U36B body in many colours , if anyone is interested can contact me at this address info@locomodels.it  ::)

taz-of-boyds

I looked at your web site.  The trains you produce are nice.

I think I can-not help you.  I have a question about your question.

Are you trying to do two different things with the truck?

1)  convert it to Rapido "Arnold  type" couplers, and

2)  connect the truck to the locomotive to provide electrical power from the track?

Thanks, and good work on your trains!

Charles

poliss

I think you are asking if all coupler boxes will be of a new type in which Arnold couplers will not fit. You want to know if this is the case so you can alter the tooling on your models?

sonictrain66

Thanks a lot Charles for your compliments about my production  :).

1)   convert it to Rapido "Arnold  type" couplers, and  YES in Europe it's normally this standard

2)    connect the truck to the locomotive to provide electrical power from the track? NO but It's a good idea!!

Dear Bliss exactly ! 

In the past I had seen this configuration gear + wheel and electrical contact, the news of today is the fit system coupler that it's not compatible whith Arnold system.
Before in all the locomotive boxes, Bachmann add Arnold coupler. Now  as it will in the future?  is forecast as a spare part?

Ciao Lorenzo

James in FL

Hi sonictrain66,

First, let me say your models are beautiful.
I applaud your fine craftsmanship.

In the past several years Bachmann has been moving away from the Rapido couplers as have most all major US manufacturers.
In the US, modelers have pushed for the more realistic "knuckle" type couplers.
They are aesthetically more pleasing than Rapido's as they loosely represent prototypical type couplers used on actual 1:1 trains.
Some of the knuckle type (not all) can be un-coupled with under track magnets.
This can be very convenient; however, reliability of these couplers remains a never ending quest for most of us.

Back to the subject at hand;

I cannot decipher if your choice is truck mount or body mount couplers.

Soon you may be forced into making your own coupler boxes, or possibly modifying ones already on the market if you wish to continue using the Rapido type.
The Rapido coupler is fading away but will remain available for many years to come either through aftermarket or used equipment.

One option might be to use Unimate, EZ Mate, MT T-Shank, etc., couplers in the Rapido boxes.
Another may be to remove the knuckle type box and fabricate a new box for Rapido.
Yet another may be to remove the Rapido box from the trucks of cars converted to knuckle type, and use that on your models, mounting with a screw or probably glue.
Rapido style trucks can be had very inexpensively on eBay, for your use, if this is your desire.
My preferred method of removal of coupler boxes is a Dremel and needle file for molded on, body mount, type boxes and an Exacto blade on molded on truck type boxes.

If it is your choice to have Bachmann locomotive trucks with Rapido couplers (includes power pick-up) check the links below.

I hope this may have been of some help.
I wish you success and Good Luck

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_70_81

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=232