News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Light Mountain with DCC Question

Started by darticus, November 23, 2010, 07:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darticus

I bought a new Light Mountain today at the hobby store that told me it is DCC equipped. NOT ready but On Board. I know now the factory didn't make Light Mountains with DCC installed. How Can I tell if its equipped? Where would the Decoder be? Can you tell from just looking at it? Thanks for the help! Ron

skipgear

The decoder would be installed in the boiler on the light mountain. There would be no visible evidence if done correctly.

Are you sure it's not a Heavy Mountain as it comes with DCC installed, the two loco's are very similar?

What road name?
What style tender? (Heavies came with either USRA Long or C&O Vanderbuilt, Lights come with USRA Std.)
Are there multiple wires between the loco and tender?
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

darticus

Even though the loco is marked DCC equipped by Hobbytown USA it does not have the DCC in it. Called them and they made it sound like I misunderstood. See Pic. I only paid 72 dollars but is it worth adding DCC and than Sound decoder which would have to go into a bigger tender I was told.
Do I return or deal with it! Ron

skipgear

It's up to you. If it is a light mountain for $77 you got a pretty good price. Adding DCC is not bad in these. The worst part is dealing with all the detail parts on the boiler when removing it to install the decoder.

As far as a basic decoder, look for a DZ125 or similar small decoder. For sound, the Digitrax decoder is the smallest option and will fit in the USRA tender just fine. A tsunami will also fit but it is a much tighter install.

There are some improvements you can do to the light mountain to make it perform better. Primarily it envolves removing the gear cover plate and adding a shim above the bearing pocket on the traction tired driver. For some reason the traction tired driver rides high on these and you don't get the full effect of the traction tire.
Tony Hines

darticus

Thanks for the info.  Which digitrax decoder SFX0416 SoundFX+Function Decoder  the smallest for sound you mention or is there smaller?
http://www.digitrax.com/menu_sounddecoders.php
Thanks Ron

skipgear

The smallest Digitrax is the SDN144PS

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_mobdec_sdn144ps.php

You will need to cut off the 8 pin plug due to space constraints and then run 4 wires from the loco to the tender.... Motor +, Motor - , Headlight +, Headlight -. The tender is connected to the frame pickup via the drawbar so you don't need to run wires for pickup, you can get that from the tender wipers.

It is actually easier to do in the USRA tender that comes with the Light Mountain. The new seprately available tenders have a light board the takes up valuable space in the tender. The original tender that the Light Mountain has just has the wipers in the floor for the truck pickups so there is a lot more room to work.
Tony Hines

darticus

Thanks I might give it a shot. You sound like you did this before. So all I need would be the DZ125 DECODER AND THE SDN144PS SOUND DECODER. Ron

skipgear

Actually no, you just need the sound decoder. It controls motor and sound. John Columbo has had great luck using a dual decoder setup, one in the loco, one in the tender but for your first sound install, just a sound decoder in the tender is simpler to setup.

If you are not using DCC, then the dual decoder system will not work very well anyhow.
Tony Hines

darticus

I will be using DCC. I thought I need two chips. One for the motor and one for sound. Digitrax SDN144PS you mentioned for sound and DZ125 DECODER for motor both going in the light mountain. Am I confused or is there only one I have to use to do both? Ron

What single chip would I use? Thanks Ron

Quote from: skipgear on November 24, 2010, 10:57:10 PM
Actually no, you just need the sound decoder. It controls motor and sound. John Columbo has had great luck using a dual decoder setup, one in the loco, one in the tender but for your first sound install, just a sound decoder in the tender is simpler to setup.

If you are not using DCC, then the dual decoder system will not work very well anyhow.

skipgear

You just need a Digitrax is the SDN144PS or similar.

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_mobdec_sdn144ps.php

The sound decoder handles everything. It has....

1 Amp Motor control
4 lighting Function outputs w/FX3 functions (flashing, strobe, mars, etc.)
2 factory installed sound profiles (Steam / Diesel)

Do you have a DCC system to program the decoder?
Digitrax also offers the PR3 which allows you to use a Laptop to program and upload new sounds to the decoder.
Tony Hines

darticus

Thanks for getting back. I will have DCC as soon as Santa gets here. I'm getting ready. Only that one chip and it will do directions speed light and sound. Wow! I thought I needed two decoders. Thanks again Ron

darticus

I was thinking of using the Soundtraxx Micro Tsunami 8260 in the light mountain and controlling the motor and sound. Originally I was gonna use the tsunami in the heavy mountain for sound but I'm thinking maybe use a digitrax decoder for sound in the heavy mountain as it is A cheaper a decoder and the HM alseady has motor DCC. Input wanted!
I just found out that to program the Tsunami I might need a PowerPax Programming track booster to program on the programing track. Actually I read something about this. I will be using a digitrax ZEPHYR EXTRA which is a little more power than the regular Zephyr. Do you think it will have enough power to program the Tsunami on the programming track without an extra booster? Asking this now as when I get all this stuff for Xmas I will have an understanding of what I'm doing.  Thanks Ron

skipgear

If you are going to put sound in the Heavy Mountain, just eliminate the factory decoder. They are not the best decoder to begin with. All the current N scale sound decoders have motor control already and even the MRC decoders have better motor control than the factory Bachmann decoder.
Tony Hines

darticus

Quote from: skipgear on December 10, 2010, 05:33:47 PM
If you are going to put sound in the Heavy Mountain, just eliminate the factory decoder. They are not the best decoder to begin with. All the current N scale sound decoders have motor control already and even the MRC decoders have better motor control than the factory Bachmann decoder.
Now thats a thought! The decoder in the heavy mountain, I guess, is only for motor. I guess no sound section in the decoder. It must be in there like the light mountain install tutorial. So just remove it and do the total with one Tsunami! Than the light mountain would be the same install. Tony's trains thought there was a plug in the light mountain or heavy mountain to plug a decoder into. I don't think so. Ron

skipgear

You are making this much more complex than it needs to be.

#1 - Up to this point, all N scale Bachmann loco's with DCC have the decoder soldered in. None of thier installs use a plug.

#2 - There is not room in the tender for two decoders and a speaker, especially considering the huge thing that Bachmann call's a decoder in their DCC loco's.

#3 - The light mountain is designed for a small decoder to be installed in the boiler. The heavy mountain is designed so that the decoder installs in the tender.

#4 - Adding sound to the light mountain will require either dual decoders (a small one in the boiler and a sound unit in the tender) or a sound unit in the tender and wires from the tender to the loco for headlight and motor control.

Tony Hines