News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 4-4-0. 8' diameter or less?

Started by AussieJim, November 29, 2010, 06:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AussieJim

Guys, I'm new to this forum and new to G scale. I have just purchased a new Spectrum, American 4-4-0. It's my first loco and as yet I don't have any track. I have noticed in another post that Bachmann "recommend" a minimum diameter of 8' for this loco. As I intend to run the loco indoors and have limited space, does anyone know if it will negotiate a 6.5' diameter or less? Please let me know if you have one and whats the minimum it will run on.
Thanks
AussieJim

grayfitz

Hi Aussie Jim, The owners manual says "this loco should be operated on curves with a minimum radius of 5 feet" Regards Gray ( Australia).

Sleeping Bear

The wider you can make your curves, the less wear you'll have on your wheels, just a reminder  ....   later all   ......S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

glennk28

I had one of gthem--the main problem for radius is the pilot truck swing--Bachmann designed a 2-stage pivot for it thaT hlelps--I ran mine on LGB's 1600-series track and switches.  gj

Jon D. Miller

I have three Spectrum 4-4-0 locomotives.

They will operate on 4 ft radius (8 ft. diameter) curves.  They will also handle LGB 4 ft. radius switches.

I have no curves that tight on the layout.  However, at our club displays the 4-4-0 operates with ease on 4 ft. radius.  Other members also run their Spectrum Americans on the 4 ft. radius without derailments.

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Dennis Paulson

I have operated my three 4-4-0 locos around my layouts 5 foot DIAMETER curves pulling cars , the pilot overhangs are not pretty , but they run on the small 5" diameter curves ok .
I had 8 foot dia curves when I purchased the locomotives , where they really worked very well .
They really are BEAUTIFUL locomotives !    ;D

charon

Fellow Bachmannians;
FYI
I am currently running a Bachmann 3 truck shay pulling three of the new 1/20.3 Murphy roof finescale boxcars on my indoor layout with 2 1/2' radius (5' diameter) curves with no problems.  Granted, the overhang on the curves may not be realistic, but it's better than not being able to run them at all.  Just make sure to run the shay counter clockwise so the gearing is on the outside of the curve.  Would that be clockwise in Australia and New Zealand? (just kidding)
Happy Bachmanning;
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Doneldon

charon-

It would only be clockwise in Australia if you get tired of your
trains (can't happen) and throw them in the...
                                                                    -- D

AussieJim

Thanks for you help guys. I have my Eureka & Palisade 4-4-0 now and yes it will run around my Christmas tree on 5' "diameter" track. Yes the cow catcher overhang does look a bit over the top but it still looks great going around the tree. To all non Americans Merry Christmas. To our allies in the US Happy Holidays.

Jim

Melbourne
Australia