News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding Sound

Started by trainguy42, December 04, 2010, 08:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainguy42

I recently received the new On30 articulated 2-6-6-2 with DCC on board but without sound. I would like to add sound to this engine but I don't know what is involved. Can you suggest a course of action?

gnfan

Since the 2-6-6-2 already has an 8 pin DCC plug with the Bachmann decoder plugged the easiest method would be to unplug the Bachmann decoder and plug in a sound decoder. The factory decoder and plug is in the tender.  I would use a  Soundtraxx Tsunami TSU-1000, either the Heavy or Medium steam version along with a plug connector such as the Digitrax "DHWHP" which is a 9 pin to 8 pin connector. You unplug the wire harness from the decoder and plug in the 9 pin to 8 pin harness and plug the decoder in where the factory decoder was plugged in.

The tender has speaker holes in the bottom but you should get or build a speaker enclosure/baffle for the back of the speaker for better sound.

You will have to do some soldering to attach the speaker to the speaker wires as well as the capacitor as noted in the instructions. Soundtraxx has documentation on their web site as do the other sound decoder manufacturers. Following their instructions for installation is highly recommended.

I have done several Bachmann On30 locos this way and it takes longer to describe it than it does to install it.

One can also get blank 8 pin plugs and solder the existing harness wires in to the plug which is tedious but can be done. This will save the cost of the extra 9 pin to 8 pin wire harness, however it all depends on ones skills with a soldering iron. I have done it this way but I have a low frustration threshold in tasks like this so I prefer the slightly more expensive method of just swapping the wire harness.

Hope this helps.

David

JohnR

Basically, you'll be swapping the factory decoder for a sound decoder and installing a speaker.

The factory sound decoders are based on SoundTraxx Tsunami sound decoders.  Whether you choose SoundTraxx or another brand, there will be some assembly required.  You'll need to open up the loco where the decoder is housed, unplug it, probably unscrew the circuit board and install the speaker, screw the board back on, and plug in the new sound decoder.  After that, you'll probably want to adjusts some of the control variables (ID, speed, acceleration, sound levels, etc).

-John

trainguy42

Thanks to both of you for the great help. :D

Tomcat

Go for a ESU or Soundtraxx tsunami. What you get in the Factory installed 2-6-6-2 is a tsunami.
Since the built in Bachmann DCC decoder is not the best ever you can grab, cut the plug, solder the new Sound Decoder to the plug using care and shrink tubing (smallest size you can grab at your electronics store) and use a Soundtraxx speaker/speakler baffle kit or fabricate one from a plastic bottle cap or anything else of a fitting size. That makes a big difference in sound quality!

If you want to have the most easiest installation, get the Digitrax DHMHP harness and cut the purple shrink tubing of the Tsunami a bit (this won´t harm the decoder nor its factory warranty!), install the harness and so you have just to solder two wires: to the speaker... Please keep in mind that the aftermarket Tsunami is slightly a bit bigger as the Factory installed one is.

More or less, it´s a straightforward job. Take your time, read the manual and there you go.
Enjoy!

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

ChrisS

I have real tsunami's in my 2-8-0 and factory in my mallet. I can get even better running by removing the factory tsunami in the mallet and going with a full tsunami? Cool. Cause the 2-6-6-2 runs great already.

NarrowMinded

I would go with the tsu1000 with factory harness and leave the bachmann decoder intact for use in something else or sell/trade it. It's not that much for the correct harness and you will have a cleaner installation and a loco that works great.

And as mentioned above the tsu1000 is slightly larger then the bachmann decoder that is in your loco now but is more compact then the bachmann/tsunami 

NM