News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC trains ru from computer

Started by Kris Everett, December 16, 2010, 06:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris Everett

Wow it has been a while since i have been on here. but i have yet another question to ask :) *go figure*

OK this has interested me ever since i have started deciding how i want to run my trains once its all said and done. so here is what i would like to know. is their any way i can run my DCC trains from my computer using my LAN port and USB ports? being connected to my EZ command system. i have found some things on-line but none of them will work with LAN ports or usb ports and i only have a laptop with those so I'm kinda out of luck until i get some thing with the other ports they use.

thx

Kris

Techwizard

Or to be more specific, the EZ Command system does not support computer control. If you do want to advance to computer operation, you will need a more advanced system.

Kris Everett

well it has an I/O port or CAT5 port the thing that i found online said that i would have to use the serial port or the LPT port to connect to your command center. im also thinking about upgrading to the dynamis system would it work with that? if not what would you sugest i use to make this dream come true? if at all possible

richg

There are systems that will run trains from a PC but they are not Bachmann so I will not mention them here.
Be advised, this is not plug and play. You will need some PC experience and download the software from the 'Net. This will include a lot of head scratching and research.
Do some homework first.

Do a Google search for:     model train PC control

There is a lot of info on the 'Net. You will find many links you can store in Favorites and study at your leisure.
I belong to some DCC groups that discuss this quite a lot and there is a lot involved.
There are DCC groups for different DCC system manufacturers and the software used for PC train control.

Rich

Doneldon

Kris-

Don't let that Cat5 terminal fool
you. The Bachmann DCC systems
will NOT work with a computer
without extensively rewiring the
whole thing.
                              -- D

Kris Everett

see that surprises me that bachmann hasn't come out with anything like this yet i think it would be a good selling point for them if its in the correct price range. of course. ill do some more searching then. it would just be a really cool project it would take a long time but the benefits would be enormous. maybe in the future bachmann will come out with a conversion kit for their e-z command and dynamsis systems :) i can only dream.

Joe323

It would be cool but I don't see it coming any time soon.

Kris Everett

i have found some thing online that will work with any DCC system. and you dont have to rewire any thing just use a program on your computer make the connections to the circuit board for the company and make the connection to the track or booster and then your done it is so easy. thank you for telling me what to search for online.

richg

Quote from: Kris Everett on December 17, 2010, 01:25:52 PM
i have found some thing online that will work with any DCC system. and you dont have to rewire any thing just use a program on your computer make the connections to the circuit board for the company and make the connection to the track or booster and then your done it is so easy. thank you for telling me what to search for online.

There is quite a lot involved so searching the links may be helpful. Then you can post specific questions.
Not knowing your level of experience with what you want to do is a little difficult for me to make any specific suggestions as I have never looked into PC control of trains. I occasionally see a discussion in other forums as I belong to over a dozen MRR forums.

Organize your Favorites folder in your IE browser and store the links you like.
I will PM you about other DCC systems that can connect with a PC.

This is for more advanced users so I suspect Bachmann is trying to keep the cost down for their DCC systems. No telling what is coming down the Pike.

Good possibility you will have to join a couple other forums that are PC/model railroad specific

Remember there is DC control many are still comfortable with.

DCC control is continually evolving ad many are still not comfortable with DCC.

DCC/PC control is another step up that many are not comfortable with. I am not comfortable with PC/DCC control as I like to fully control my DCC locos.

Rich

Doneldon

Kris-

I assume you are talking about the CTI computer control system for model trains.  I note two things: First, the CTI system requires a substantial financial investment for anything beyond a very bare-bones set up and, second, the CTI system explicitly does not identify Bachmann EZCommand as a compatible DCC system.  It does mention most other manufacturers' systems.

These appear to be good products but they are by no means plug-and-play.  The wiring gets very complicated since you have to go back to isolated electrical blocks and add sensors (more wiring) so the system knows where the various trains are at.

In short, this is a complicated (though comprehensive) control system which demands a significant investment of time and money while adding little to train control other than the ability to have a computer run trains while the engineers watch.  Frankly, that doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me even though it is ideal for a display layout like the one at the Rosenwald (Science and Industry) Museum in Chicago, or perhaps a club layout during an open house.  And for a kicker, the CTI products aren't EZ-DCC compatible.

I suggest that you explore the more complete and versatile DCC systems from various manufacturers if you want more/better control of your trains, rather than trying to force the EZ-DCC systems to be something they are not.  In the long run you'll be happier, I predict, wealthier and less frustrated.  You'll also be up and running much more quickly since the install will be easier, less complex and less costly.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     -- D

Kris Everett

well the one that i'm looking at is 55.00 us. it's from a company in Brittan. but i agree that it is a long way from being 100% fool proof and that their will be some frustration in it but i have friends in the right places to help me out if i get in trouble. but from what i have read it seems pretty easy but as they always say don't count your chickens until they hatch cause u might get a bad egg. and i not going to leave my layout running when i'm not in the room so i will always be right near if some happens :-\ but it will still be a while off cause as always you have to have the money to do it.

but right now i'm working on putting all my turn out controllers in one spot by extending the wires ;D :D

Kris Everett

well you would be right in that assumption. and I'm going to go the the mini bee because i don't need all of the motor outputs of the motor bee where I'm going to use the one of the programs to be able to get the mini bee to recognize the decoders of the DCC trains. and best of all if it doesn't work then its easy to return to what i know will work until i can get the bugs out.

Kris Everett

it sounds interesting but would it work with the control center using the to track output? but what i really want is to be able to do is run all my trains right from my computer sitting right in front of it. and i don't want to spend an entire fortune on it. just to get little or NO control over then i want to be able to do every the control center can just computerized. for example modify the speed turn on and off lights eventually switch my turnouts automatically, if i choose to get sound for my locos be-able to control the sound. is their anything that would do all of that or is that what u showed me in that link cause if it is ill do more research in to it.

Doneldon

Kris-

Hunt didn't explicitly mention it (though I'm sure he knows it and he did pointedly put proprietary in red) but a proprietary system introduces one very significant issue: It isn't compatible with other DCC systems.  This means that you can't expand your system except within the bee system.  I'm not familiar with the bee merchandise but it could even be that you won't be able to use your equipment on someone else's layout unless you reprogram it.  That could be a pain in the neck or elsewhere.
                                                                                                                                                                                       -- D

Thomas1911

Kris,

I think most of the high-end DCC systems have some type of computer interface built in and some of the entry level systems have a computer interface available seperately.  I have a Powercab system and recently bought a USB interface for it.  I also downloaded JMRI's Decoderpro/Panelpro software.  This software interacts with the DCC system to program decoders and run trains all the way up to controlling turnouts and signals.  Haven't got into it very deep yet, but seems it will do about anything you can imagine.  There is even an app available for the iPhone that works with the software through your home Wi-Fi network letting you run trains, control turnouts, etc.  So far I've been really impressed with all the features and ease of use, not to mention the software is free.  You might check into it.  Their website lists compatible DCC systems.

http://jmri.sourceforge.net/