I don't understand why the Davenport switcher...

Started by lvrr325, December 27, 2010, 12:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lvrr325

.. I don't understand why the undec Davenport comes with the headlight and exhaust stack glued in place.  I had to remove the headlight to paint it seperately and broke the pin off the bottom of it.  The light is glued to it's base platform and the base has one pin which is glued into the shell. While I was able to deal with painting the stack with a brush, I didn't want to try to mask the headlight when spray painting the shell, especially to try to paint under it.

I also don't understand what the deal is with the bell - there's one packed with it, the hood has a flat spot where it might go, but it's not opened for it, and the bell is not shown in the instructions at all.  Which itself is fine, but the bell has a square peg and will be tough to file it round to fit the round hole a drill bit will make. 

I had to make a set of doors for the cab, as it has none, but when used in colder climates I would expect they'd have doors and a heater in the cab. 

Also missing in the instructions is that the shell should be removed in two pieces - the cab first, then the main shell, and that the shell kind of snaps in place at the rear, it doesn't just pull off.

Just some thoughts for the next run on these, or if they turn around and try to do a version with sound.

NarrowMinded

I installed the bell on the flat per a photo of a prototype I found with google I simply drilled a hole the same diameter as the square is thick, then pressed it in with out a problem.
As for the glued pieces I'm in agreement with you it seems silly to glue them on an unfinished loco.

NM