News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-4-4T Forney

Started by derail, December 20, 2010, 04:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derail

Are there enough individual parts available from bachmann to kitbash a 0-4-4T forney from the parts available online is do is my only option to buy an entire 2-4-4T and remove the from wheel set? What are the detail differences between the different froneys?

lvrr325

Have you seen what a complete one generally goes off for on eBay?  I don't think you can get half the parts through Bachmann, for the average sale price over there.  They have it divided into several major assemblies. 

I wouldn't mind swapping out the arch bar rear trucks on mine with the other style, just fwiw. 

C.S.R.R. Manager

I did some quick checking, and wholesaletrains.com has Forneys at $119.99.  Just ordering the boiler [$50.00] and the mechanism [$75.00] from the parts department puts you over that price.  So it looks like ordering a completed model is a better deal.  And it's always nice to have spare parts left over, for future projects.  That's what I tell my wife, anyway.

manager

derail

Thanks guys, now I just need to determine which variation is best for the kitbash. Do the Forneys come with alternative headlights?

NarrowMinded

Buy the painted unlettered one and it comes with differant headlights and a spare differant pilot truck
Not sure if the lettered ones have all the optional items

Nm

derail

Does anyone know if the lettered and unlettered forneys come with the same detail parts? Separately packaged and otherwise?

NarrowMinded

I read in one of the train mags that the ones with road names come detailed for that rr name prototype so they don't put as many options in the box, I'm nor sure how true that is, maybe the Bach-man can give us a better answer

NM

lvrr325

They come with different parts installed, but they all come with three choices of headlight and two choices of lead truck.  The problem is at least on the outside frame undecs, the lower tender tank and cast type rear truck only come on the wood cab version, while the steel cab version has the arch bar rear truck and taller tender deck.  To me this doesn't make sense, the steel cab one should have the cast truck and should come with the electric headlight installed, not the oil headlight.  I didn't realize that until I'd bought two of them, though, and I'm not sure I want to mess around buying two more to try to swap out the pieces and get them how I want.