Bachmann MDT Plymouth Swithcher

Started by mgutsch, December 27, 2010, 06:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgutsch

Has anyone added DCC and Sound to this engine? I know it is small compared to other engines.   Thanks
Mike

richg

I have squeezed in a Digitrax DZ125 non-sound decoder. The decoder is about the diameter of a dime and somewhat thicker.
The big issue is rather poor pickups. I have the one with the pancake motor which runs OK but needs much better pickups.
The newest Plymouth's have a "can" type motor but I suspect the pickups are the same. A thin metal strip sits between the right and left side frame halves and presses up against the inside of the the wheels.
Not sure there is a place for a sound decoder and speaker. A SoundTraxx Micro, $110 or LokSound Micro $130 might fit. I doubt there is anything smaller.
The SoundTraxx is good for 0.750 amps.
The LokSound is good for 0.5 amps.

Rich

mf5117

Do a search in the search box "mdt plymoth" I had one done about a year or 2 ago .has the decoder number . Also there was a micro sound decoder you can put up in the cab . He also put a beacon light in as well .Jim Banner gave some good information on decoder choice's when I was getting this work done on my MDT

ACY

Unless you are an expert, just stick to regular DCC, Adding sound would be a big hassle, because there just isn't really enough space.

CNE Runner

First of all the Bachmann Plymouth MDT...ain't. The locomotive really isn't any model in the Plymouth line; but comes closest to a WDT (the MDT is a four-wheel job whilst the WDT has six-wheels). Anyone, having read my posts regarding my Monks' Island Railway, knows that I used the Plymouth exclusively as our [only] locomotive.
This locomotive suffers from a poor drive train and electrical pickups. Frankly, it really isn't worth the effort you will expend - installing a decoder and sound (if that is even possible...which I seriously doubt). Unfortunately there isn't a better Plymouth product on the market in HO. So what's a runner to do? Keep the gear train clean and lightly lubricated. Frequently clean the axle-to-frame contacts as this is where the little bugger transfers power from the wheels to the motor (via the frame). A good suggestion would be to install some Tomar power pick ups from the frame directly to the rails.

Let me pass on some great advice this runner learned from some chaps on the forum: Forget the Plymouth and purchase the Bachmann Spectrum GE 45 Ton locomotive. This is a sweet running engine that has a dual function decoder (I run mine exclusively on DC) AND has provisions for a speaker (which involves changing the decoder to a sound-equipped unit). I can't praise the 45 Tonner higher!

If you persist in continuing with your Plymouth project, I strongly recommend having powered frog turnouts (ala Peco Electrofrog) as this locomotive is very unforgiving of any electrical interruptions (more so at slow prototypical switching speeds). The problem arises from the way power is transferred from the rails to the motor and can be mitigated by frequently (like every other week) cleaning of that axle-to-frame joint.

In summary: The Plymouth 'MDT' is a toy...don't waste your time or finances trying to "make a purse out of a sow's ear". Check out the discounters and buy the Bachmann Spectrum GE 45 Ton locomotive...you won't be disappointed.

Just my opinion,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richg

I have seen a sound install video of a HO scale four wheel Critter install.
You better have clean track, powered frogs, clean and good pickups and some troubleshooting experience before you try any kind of DCC install in a loco like this. A lot of fiddling is required.
By the way, track or wheels can look clean but you cannot call them really clean until you do the cleaning part.
I say this because some modelers say the track "looks clean" and found out after cleaning that they assumed incorrectly.
Bottom line, you want a good running layout, you have to pay a lot of attention to details. Experienced modelers know this.

Rich

mgutsch

Thanks for all the replys and information. I think I will hand this down to my grandson who has a small oval track. Thanks again.