News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding sound

Started by abcunningham, December 28, 2010, 12:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abcunningham

First:
Has anyone tried adding sound to an 0-6-0? Is there enough room? What about putting it in the tender?

Second:What about converting the front coupler to a operating one?

Al

richg

Quote from: abcunningham on December 28, 2010, 12:28:02 PM
First:
Has anyone tried adding sound to an 0-6-0? Is there enough room? What about putting it in the tender?

Al

"Maybe", but I doubt it. The pickups are rather poor as I recall and the engine with the pancake motor is not very good. Very little room in the slope back tender. Probably has plastice wheels.
I see in the diagrams the engine now has a can type motor. which might be a little better but the pickups will be the issue.
I have put a small sound decoder in the Bachmann Vanderbilt tender with a 14mm x 25mm speaker. I replaced the wheels with metal wheels and made pickups for all the wheels.
I had to remove the weights and put in bird shot for weight. I followed and example in the diagrams page where Bachmann puts sound in their Spectrum Vanderbilt tender locos. I drilled holes in the bottom of the tender frame for sound.

Now for the importanr part, I used a better running Mantua 0-6-0 engine with all wheel pickup to pull the tender.

Other than that, it is a piece of cake.

Rich

jbsmith

Q:Second:What about converting the front coupler to a operating one?

This is possible,in theory, but will require some carefull & exacting surgery.
You will have to cut out the dummy coupler. Cut out enough to make room for the replacement pocket.
Then replace it with either a Kadee #5 or #148, your call, along with the coupler pocket provided in the Kadee kit.

OldTimer

The Kadee 30 series couplers have a smaller footprint.  I've had very good luck with them in tight quarters.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.