News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turnouts with 22" radius

Started by Kris Everett, December 30, 2010, 11:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris Everett

are there any turnout that are made with 22" radius track or are they only 18" radius?

kris

Jim Banner

The only Bachmann turnouts with a constant radius are the 18" radius ones.  On their curved portions, they are meant to replace 2/3 of a standard 18" radius curve plus a 1-1/2" or 2" of straight track.

If you want turnouts that are more compatible with 22" radius, try some #6 turnouts.  These do not have a constant radius but their minimum radius is much bigger than 18" radius.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Kris Everett

ok if you read my other post  about the underground yard the track that is coming from the helix is straight but in order to get it to flow in with the rest of my track there is a 22"r curve right in the way. so to integrate both tracks you suggest getting a #6 and make it work? or is their something better suited to do this.

thx jim

jward

perahps a better fit would be to yse an atlas #4 plus a 1/3 section of 18" radius track. this will give you the 22.5 degrees of curvature to replace one section of 22" radius track. but it won't be a drop in replacement.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Kris Everett

i would have to get 3 transfer pieces code 100 to code 80

is there something along the same line but in code 100?

JerryB

Kris:

Why would you need to use code 83 rail? Atlas H0 track is available in both code 100 & code 83.

But if you are going to use an 18" radius turnout, probably better to stay with the Bachmann products.

Better still, I would use a #6 turnout if at all possible. That especially when your proposed helix will be 22" radius.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Kris Everett

jward

Quote from: Kris Everett on December 30, 2010, 04:49:50 PM
i would have to get 3 transfer pieces code 100 to code 80

is there something along the same line but in code 100?

atlas makes both pieces in both code 83 and code 100.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jward

Quote from: JerryB on December 30, 2010, 05:37:50 PM
Kris:
But if you are going to use an 18" radius turnout, probably better to stay with the Bachmann products.

an atlas #4 is NOT an 18" radius switch. that would be an atlas snap switch, and i don't recommend their use no matter who made them. an atlas #4 is more like an ez track #5 without all the extra straight track around the switch.....

another alternative would be a peco small radius switch, which is actually a 24" radius. but you'd have to do some cutting down of track to make the equivalent 22 1/5 degree turn. using the atlaS components you can get an exact match on the degrees using standard components, plus atlas track is way easier to find than peco.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbsmith

Quote from: Kris Everett on December 30, 2010, 11:20:52 AM
are there any turnout that are made with 22" radius track or are they only 18" radius?

kris

Yes. Atlas makes these, both Snap track and Truetrack. They are 22R switches.
Truetrack part numbers 482,483,484 and 485
Snap Track part numbers  544,545,546 and 547.

These are all code 83 track.

What kind of track are you using anyway?  That part is not clear to me at least.

Kris Everett

Heres my problem

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae45/trainboy16/

i hope this helps you understand what i need

Jb,

are those available in code 100?

jbsmith

Quote from: Kris Everett on December 30, 2010, 06:03:34 PM
Heres my problem

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae45/trainboy16/

i hope this helps you understand what i need

Jb,

are those available in code 100?

It does not look like it,,this is where you can see the list of track parts,,just put the curser on the word TRACK on the upper left and a drop down menu will appear, i am sure you will figure the rest out from there.
http://www.atlasrr.com/

Kris Everett

Quote from: jbsmith on December 30, 2010, 06:00:18 PM

What kind of track are you using anyway?  That part is not clear to me at least.

bachmann ez-track

i couldn't find anything that was 22"rad in a switch

and those numbers you gave me they are all out of, no help their

jward

Yes. Atlas makes these, both Snap track and Truetrack. They are 22R switches.
Truetrack part numbers 482,483,484 and 485
Snap Track part numbers  544,545,546 and 547.

[/quote]

when did they start making these? i just downloaded the latest version of the atlas right track software a couple of months ago and they are not in the track library.....

you learn something new every day. kris. those look like just the ticket for you.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Kris Everett

yes i know but they are out of stock their i have a few sources that i can poke and see what falls but they are code 83 it would be nice if i could find something in code 100 if possible.

if any one wants to know what code is before they ask go here.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13724.0.html

last 2 pages