News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dc locomotive question??

Started by rrmchone, January 03, 2011, 06:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrmchone

I just thought of something interesting   but i dont really know if this item exist     now if you run a dc powered layout but you buy a dcc locomotive is it possible to run that locomotive and get sound even though you dont have a dcc controller ?  or do they make engines that come with sound for a dc layout?             

trainman1248

well they have those plastic vile items that have diesel horns and things that might be as close as you come.

im new so trying to be helpful if im wrong im sorry

ACY

Many DCC with sound locomotives these days come with a dual mode sound decoder, it will have some sounds on DC, but you will need a DCC system to set it up for DC operation before you can use it on a DC layout.

bobwrgt

You can purchase many DC engines that are set up to run on DC or DCC with sound.
Broadway Limited, Atlas Gold and Walthers Proto are just a few. Almost all will work on DC out of the box . Those equipped with QSI, Blueline, or Paragon systems will work on DC or Dcc. You don't need a DCC system to program many of the functions. You can purchase separate controls for less than $45.00 that will give you access to almost all of the sounds and let you set the CV"s for the motor and more. Check out the separate web pages for the systems and decide what you like and also check the video's on YouTube.
MRC also makes a Black Box for less than $45.00 for DCC control of sounds and DCC engines.
Bob

richg

From what I have read, all DCC locos now are dual mode.

There is a GOTCHA that exist with this issue which has got some people.

If you buy from a private source, they may tell you the loco has a dual mode decoder but they might have disabled the DC capability and forgot about it. Many people I know disable that function when they set up a new decoder the first time.
You buy the loco and find out it does not run and after a few frustrating days on model railroad forums find out that you need a DCC controller or find someone who has one.
I belong to twenty MRR forums and see this a couple times a year.
This has also happened to someone who bought from a LHS and the store person forgot that the DC function had been disabled.
Again, DCC is generally not plug and play.

In a related issue, if you read just the forums for Bachmann alone, DC operation of standard DC locos is not always plug and play.

Rich

bobwrgt

I have at least 25 DC/Dcc duel mode engines with factory sound. Almost all have been purchased from Ebay. Not a one has had a problem running on DC straight out of the box. Only one was a MTH that had a problem running on DCC because the address had been changed to the cab number. I took it to a friends house and reset the address and everything worked fine.

Bob