News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

how do I add reed switchs to a 4-6-0?

Started by robertalan51, January 07, 2011, 08:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertalan51

I recently bought a used Bachmann 4-6-0 with an older sierra sound board installed. My question is...... How do I add reed switchs to operate the bell and whistle? I have no idea which wires to use.
Now, the bell and whistle can only be operated by using track insulaters or a voltage drop. I really need magnetic triggers.
    Any related info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

Loco Bill Canelos

Since you did not mention what  control system you are using it is hard to answer your questions or make recommendations!

In the simplest terms  You place a magnet on the left side of the track just before a crossing to trigger the crossing sound.  You would mount the reed switch as low as possible on the loco or tender, check to be sure the switch is triggered by the magnet and run the two wires from the switch to the trigger outputs for the whistle on the sound board.  Same for the bell but mount the magnet and switch on the right side of the loco or tender say just before a station and run the wires to the bell trigger on your sound board. 

There are many disadvantages to this.  If you run your train backwards the sound will trigger at the wrong time.   As for the bell it will ring even if you are running past the station.   And unless you put an on off switch in the sound trigger wires, you will not be able to shut off the sounds which can be annoying after awhile.

If you have a control system that allows for manual triggering attach the trigger output on the controller to trigger the sounds on demand.  I have both TE and TE Revolution RC controls and they trigger my sierra boards sounds manually by pressing 1 for the whistle and 2 for the bell

Hope this helps.

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

robertalan51

Thanks Bill,  I am running DC and I never thought about what would happen if I were to run the other direction. Maybe I would be better off using LGB mags that snap between the ties and If I ever went the other direction I would just have to change Mags. I know that sounds stupid but for right now I can't afford to switch to any other control system. Believe me I would love to go RC but thats just too expensive to consider right now. I'm settling for running one train at a time with DC  trck power and control. I did pick up a train engineer and 10 amp power supply but haven't tried it out yet. I'm still new at this and learning something new every day.
Thanks again "Loco Bill".
Rob  S CHICAGO

Loco Bill Canelos

Rob,

Nothing Wrong with DC,  I use DC for a logging line, and also use DC on my other track so I ca run DC with
RC/Battery Locos.

Learning is half the fun!!  You can count on help on this board from a lot of really knowledgeable guys

Enjoy your RR!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!