News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

double head ten wheelers

Started by Jim327, January 07, 2011, 12:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim327

I want to run a long passenger train with two ten wheelers. I recently bought an anniversary edition 4-6-0 and was wondering if all the generations of this engine run at about the same speed. Will I have any other issues to deal with? I intend to couple them electrically.

bobwrgt

You really won't know until you try it. Even 2 new engines of the same model can run at different speed due to mechanical drag and tightness of the components. Run the 2 on the track not connected and see if one runs faster. If it is only slightly faster them make that one your front unit and it should be OK. If the Anniversary is very slow break it in first and retest.

Bob

Loco Bill Canelos

I did it for years using two Ann ies.   I put a coupler from the 1:20.3 short gons or box cars ob the front of both of them.  I found them to be pretty close in speed so put the fastest one first. 

In m y HO days I used to run four SD40-2 in front of my 80 car freight train.  one was very slow I put it on anyway and they all ran very well.  I suspected that the difference in speede actually kept my track cleaner.  I was usually laughed at for doing it, until the laughers came over and actually saw them running!!

Have fun
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jim327

Thanks guys. I guess I wait till the 'Annie' shows up in the mail and check speeds. I never considered the cleaner track issue.

on30gn15

Remember --> Annies weigh several pounds more than HO scale SD40s.
With greater than a small percentage difference in speed, we start talking gearbox stress issues.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Loco Bill Canelos

You definitely do not want to use multiple loco's with traction tires when there is a speed difference.    One of these days I will have to try triple heading my Annies.  Makes me wish my layout was longer!!! ;D
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

jsmvmd

Hi, Guys. 

I remember several years ago The Old Crustacean mentioned the plating would wear off the Annies' drivers and improve traction.  Of course he runs  his stuff outside and a lot, I believe.

My point is, an older Annie with no plating should have better traction.  I do not know if this would make a problem with double-heading, especially if it were the slower engine.

Best Wishes,

Jack