News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Voltage reduction

Started by 671, January 10, 2011, 11:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would anyone know if it is possible to use either a light dimmer style switch or a ceiling fan motor control switch on the input or output of a ZW - 275 Lionel Transformer to safely reduce the starting ( ie  6 volt ) voltage to create a smoother start to the more current style model trains? Williams etc. HELP...

the nitro man

i just went through everything you are. this link will tell you what to do. spend $5.00 at radio shack & it will be fixed. if you don't understand the instructions let me know & i'll post pictures.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,15415.0.html

Thanks Nitro man. Sounds like a well thought out solution.

phillyreading

Voltage reduction is not always an easy thing to do with electronic parts, sometimes you don't get the right wattage or the right resistance value, so be careful when doing it yourself.

Personally I would rather buy a transformer that has a lower starting voltage. I use MTH's Z-1000 transformer with my Williams engines, it has low starting voltage and has whistle and horn buttons.
At a train show you might be able to find a used Z-1000 for under $60.00.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

Lee,

If the stall current of the steamer motors is less than 6 amps, or if the 6 amp reverser board really limits the motor current to 6 amps, then the 6 amp diodes should survive quite nicely.

Simple. Cheap. Adjustable. No heat sinks needed.  Parts readily available.  Low speed reduction without excessive high speed reduction.   

Gotta stop.  Don't want to break my arm. 

Joe
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.