News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Is "PROGRESS" inevitable??

Started by bevernie, February 07, 2007, 02:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bevernie

Will everything go to DCC, eventually? Is it possible to "merge" DC  and DCC on one layout? Because of finances, I can't put decoders in my 50+ engines. Will BACHMANN's warranty eventually return a DCC-ON-BOARD for a non-repairable non-DCC?                                 ::)
                                                                                       Ernie
                                                                           Hendersonville, NC
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

SteamGene

A recent MR article on DCC stated that mixing DC and DCC is not a great idea.  I know my club layout, which is mixed, has had its share of problems, some probably caused by being both DC and DCC. 
This topic got heavily debated just before the new board rose up out of the sea like Venus.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Paul W.

I don't think you have to worry about it not being around. As for warranty items, if you did get a replacement, I think they are DCC ready meaning you could make them DCC vs just DC.
Just my thoughts, look how long DC has been around, I think DCC is just the next step, but some of us still enjoy running on DC
Happy Steamin'

Paul

Atlantic Central

Ernie,

As Gene said, this was recently a hot topic, just before the new format. Based on a number of things going on in the industry, there is no sign that DCC will "take over" any time soon.

If we could get the real numbers, I would bet DCC only accounts for 1/3 to 1/2 of all the sales of new locos. Atlas, Proto2000, BLI/PCM, Intermountain, Athearn and others are showing no signs of changing their current policy of making both DC and DCC. And Bachmann has taken the route of inexpensive dual mode decoders that can be removed if you desire, so that would suggest thier sales and their customers are telling them that DC is still the main control system, even if DCC is a large minority.

BLI/PCM is coming out with locos with sound, but not DCC, indicating that DCC may have reached the saturation point for the time being.

Sheldon

Tom Hogan

I have a 64 sq. feet of total layout....I have a SEPARATE rail line for DC and a SEPARATE line for DCC.....although they do intersect at a 45 degree crossing at one point.....they appear to be one layout....but are very much separate electric wise!