News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann #6 crossover switch

Started by jonjdurkin, January 12, 2011, 12:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonjdurkin

I have an 8x8 layout with two independently powered track sets. I installed a #6 crossover switch to connect the two tracks sets. Now they are powered together. I want to separate them but keep the crossover switch. If I make a fine cut in the switch tracks so that electricity will not pass, will I be able to power the two track sets independently again?

jward

the short answer is yes, cutting a gap in one or both rails of the crossover between the two main tracks will electrically seperate the two main tracks again.

but....by adding a few more gaps to each track, and wiring in a couple of these:
https://secure.atlasrr.com/mod1/itemdesc.asp?ic=0215&eq=&Tp=

you can independently control any of your trains on either track with either of your poewr packs. this added flexibility will make it much easier to use your crossover to it's full potential.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

Dear Jon,

Rail gaps have to be cut and jumpers removed:

http://web.me.com/msibnsf/Acela_Express,_The_Need_For_Speed/Modeling_Techniques.html

Scroll to bottom.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Len

Another one caught in the "designed for DCC layouts" #6 Crossover trap...  ::)

When is Bachmann going to:

a. Offer these things with gaps already cut so they can be used in DC layouts out of the box? It's a lot easier to tie the two sides together for DCC than going the other way.

b. If no changes are planned, at least clearly label the outside of the box, "FOR DCC LAYOUTS ONLY" in large type to warn the unwary?

c. If no changes are planned, at least include clear instructions to modify them for DC layouts IN THE BOX?

This issue has been going on since these things were first released, and it does impact LHS's that have to deal with the product returns of "defective" crossovers when customers with DC layouts run into this issue. It's long past time for Bachmann to address it.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonjdurkin

To Joe Satnik: Thanks for the info on de-electrifying the crossover switch. I have cut small gaps in the crossover rails but juice is still flowing to both tracks via the feeders. Can you please help me with a more detailed explanation of disconnecting the feeders?I don't want to ruin a $50 switch but I need to separate the two tracks. Thanks for your help

Jhanecker2

To Len :  Please note that there are two different  # 6 crossovers  R & L  types , one for  DC # 55xxx and another for manual  and DCC equiped for decoders  #44xxx .  Checkout the product Information section. J2