News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train set color

Started by novice702, September 19, 2011, 06:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novice702

I have a Bachmann Ohio River & Western passenger train set.  I want to buy a new car for it.  The car comes in either oxide red or oxide brown.  Can someone tell me whether the O.R. & W. set is oxide red or oxide brown so that I'll know which one to buy?  Thanks.

the Bach-man

Dear Novice,
The OR&W passenger cars were, according to author Ed Cass, painted chocolate brown, so ours were too.
They are not oxide.
Actually, none of our passenger cars are oxide. What car do you want to add?
Have fun!
the Bach-man

novice702

Thanks, Bach-man, for your quick response to my inquiry.  It may sound strange, but the car I'm considering buying is a caboose.  There are two cabooses (On30 Side Door Wooden Caboose) that are the same except for color.  One is BAC26797 - Oxide Brown, and the other is BAC26798 - Oxide Red.  Would either of these colors come close to matching the O.R. & W. passenger set?

the Bach-man

Dear Novice,
No, but the OR&W cabooses didn't match either.
The cabooses are just two variations on the oxide color in which narrow gauge equipment was generally painted.  The reason was this: the paint pigment contained iron, which oxidized to a red color, and required less frequent repainting.  This is why barns were typically red as well.
Either variation of red (or brown) will serve you well.
Have fun!
the Bach-man