Recommendation for DCC controller

Started by index2020, January 21, 2011, 02:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index2020

Hi,

I'm looking for a DCC controller which can change the CV values on the train, but not for anything too expensive. Any recommendations? Wireless?

PS: as a starter, I bought the Bachmann E-Z Controller which I find cannot change CV values.

Cheers,
Saugata

OldTimer

You need to do a little homework.  Companies that make DCC starter sets include, but are not limited to, Bachmann, MRC, Digitrax and Lenz.  Google will help you find more.   If you visit these companys' web sites, you can learn about each set's strengths.  You can also read the manuals on line to see which might be the easiest for you to use.  Take notes.

Then I'd go to  a hobby shop or three and see if they can demo any sets for you.  See which throttle is the most comfortable to hold.  Take more notes. 

Do you belong to a MR club?  If so and if the club is running DCC, you might want give extra consideration to the brand the club uses.  Ask your fellow members for their experience.  Guess what...take more notes.

Is cost a consideration?  I know it is for me.  By this time you'll probably be leaning towards a couple of sets.  Pice them out on e-Bay, on-line dealers, and your LHS.  I will tell you that local hobby shops are likely to charge more, but for that extra money, you have the right to expect competent support when you need it.  Take more notes. 

I can't tell you which set to buy, but if you inform yourself about the various sets available, you'll very likely be able to make a decision you can be happy with.  Hope this helps.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

index2020

Thanks. Looks like the NCE Power Cab will be the way to go! :)