News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Any UP prototype F-9 diesel?

Started by Albert in N, February 08, 2011, 11:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert in N

A couple of years ago, I purchased a new Highballer set to get the colorful UP F-9 diesel and unique cars (mainly the IBP plug door boxcar and P&LE gondola).  The all-yellow UP diesel has red number 514 and a large UP shield on each side.  Union Pacific is spelled out in red on both sides.  The roof is solid yellow.  Since the UP F unit photos that I have seen all had mostly gray roofs bordered from the yellow by red pin stripe, I wonder if Bachmann actually copied a prototype for their Highballer locomotive?  None of the photos show a large UP shield on the sides. Actually, it is a nice rugged beginner set and I enjoy running it for informal fun, even though I have been a model railroader for over 50 years.   Of course I added numberboard decals for 514.   Anyone see a photo of an actual all-yellow UP F-9 with large UP side shields?  Look in the current Bachmann catalog to see this Highballer set for reference.

jake_iv

I have never seen a proto photo for the Highballer UP loco but adding a gray roof and the red stripping is a fairly simple job of masking the roof outline and then overlaying Champ or Microscale stripping.  Spray the roof one nite and add the stripes the next nite.
jake_iv

Albert in N

I was hoping that Bachmann would respond.  The number 514 is correct for a UP F-9.  Also, UP approves model trains with their copyrite logo.  Sure, I could strip the finish and start over with a standard UP paint and decal job, but the current Bachmann model is striking.  Even if it is a fantasy paint job, I will leave it just because it livens things up.  I will do a new short post to see if Bachmann will reply.