News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ballast size

Started by slack, January 19, 2011, 08:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slack

Any recommendations on ballast size. My railroad's setting is central indiana 1930's
Thanks

lvrr325

I used sifted real cinders scooped up from the railroad ROW for mine; for the main reason that I've used about 3 1/2 gallons (with about a gallon sifted out not used) to do a 10x14 layout - I don't want to think about what that would cost to use Woodland Scenics or a similar ballast product; just based on how many times I refilled my shaker bottle there's at least a dozen small bag's worth on there now with about 8 feet of track left to do.

The cinders were free -

ebtnut

Typical main line ballast stones are ususally about the size of the palm of your hand.  When you look at how small an HO scale figure's hand is, that gives you some idea.  For main line track, I'd use material such as Woodland Scenics HO ballast.  For secondary lines and yards, I'd suggest using N scale ballast to give a visual difference in the class of track. 

ebtbob

Slack,

My suggestion would be to set up an experimental piece of track.  Try different colors and sizes of ballest.  You do not even have to glue it down.   I am in the process of going thru any number of books to try to help me to decide what ballest I will use.   As of now,  I believe it will be mix of course and fine HO scale ballest,  probably a gray/black mix leaning towards the black because my railroad's main source of income is the movement of coal.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

slack

Thanks for the reply(s).You wouldn't think something as ballast would be confusing but the O/NG nature of on30 draws a lot into question.
Slack

NarrowMinded

I agree with the confusion and decisions.  Looking at old photos and seeing some NG lines in person many were only lightly ballasted some used crushed rock of various sizes from tunnels and had differant colors along the same line based on what was on hand.
Even the modern standard gauge near my house changes from reddish brown to various shades of grey and are mixed at places.

The test tracks a great idea. because all my layouts are fictional I go with what my eye likes.

NM

slack

I had ordered a 0-gauge ballast sampler from Scenic Expess it contained 3 sizes and several different materials and colors. I decided on #20 mixed natural stone.

railsider

Remember, "ebt" ... we're talkin' O-scale here ...  On30 is still 1:48, with NG track that just happens, by chance, to be 'zakly the width of HO standard track. For that reason, a lot of us poor boys use HO track. But don't forget, the rest of the scene -- buildings, people, cars, all that -- is still O-scale. This includes the rocks and trees and ballast, too. All 1/4 inch to a foot.

ebtnut

Yeah, my bad on the HO reference, though the notation about main line ballast being about palm-sized still holds.  And as noted, aside from a few roads like the D&RGW, EBT, and White Pass, most N.G. lines used anything from dirt to cinders to furnace slag for ballast.  Using HO ballast in some cases may still be the right thing to do. 

ebtbob

I agree with ebtnut.   Looking at pictures of narrow gauged railroads in this country shows trackwork that looks it was established on site with almost no ballest showing.  So,  the use of HO scale ballest may be a good selection.  But I go back to my original suggestion of setting up a experimental piece of track and try different size and colors of ballest.   Remember,  in the end,  it will be personal preference as to size and color of ballest.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

hminky

Most narrow gauge railroads used dirt as ballast. Very few were ever "ballasted". The dirt between the ties was from "drainage" ditches formed on each side and  shoveled into the middle of the track.

Harold