News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wow... sound "experiments" and findings...

Started by bigblock454, January 21, 2011, 05:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigblock454

Well, transfered the tsunami decoder from my 4-6-0 to my 4-4-0 with success. I didn't get my order from Litchfield yet (bigger better speakers and more), but... I took the speaker "grill" on the bottom of tender and opened it up using a dremel (removed all "holes"), leaving basically just a mounting ring to keep that tiny speaker in place. I also did NOT put the speaker "enclosure" back on. Just these two mods made a big difference in sound as there is now no more restriction in front of speaker, and a nice "cabinet" (tender body) for the speaker to work it's magic!! Much more "full" sound... I can't wait for my "Hi Bass" 1.22" dia speaker to come in!! I'll be putting it under the coal load facing up and drilling hundreds of holes in the load for the sound to come out. Will seal the bottom of the tender up as well. As for the 4-6-0... new TSU-1000 going in it with a 1.57" (40 mm) square "HIGH BASS" speaker. Should sound (and run) amazing!! Ordered "cam kits" to experiment with (to syncronize chuff) as well. I'll report when complete. As for now, I'm happy to have my 4-4-0 back "in service"!!

Norm

mabloodhound

I think you're making a mistake in setting the speaker facing up.   The look of the coal load will not be good and there won't be any noticeable improvement in sound, maybe even less.
Even all of the purists use the down facing speaker.   The work you do probably won't result in what you want.
BUT, it's your RR and you're the boss. ;D
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

bigblock454

Thanks for the input, and I am wondering about that very thing. I found this article http://www.mrdccu.com/install/hoss/Bachmann_2-8-0_826121.htm
This "sound guy" says otherwise, but if you know from experience... I'm listening. I want the best sound possible, not necessarily the loudest, although a system with the ability to be loud USUALLY sounds pretty good at lower volumes. Just looking for a "fuller" sound with the chuffing and a nice "clear" (and louder) whistle. He (that article) also demonstrates that holes are "hardly noticeable" when drilled from inside in a random "outward" pattern (ie: not all holes straight up and down like a drill press would do it) to better hide them... hmm... we'll have to see (I may be ordering a replacement coal load). Thanks for your kind feedback... hoping to learn as much as possible.

Norm

NarrowMinded

On this scale of sound it may not make much difference, but holes that are not close to and in line with the direction of the speaker will deflect it and degrade it slightly, if the holes where up against the speak as they are on the bottom it would be less of a problem. also you should know that when designers build and test speakers they often consider the back pressure created by a grill or cloth cover, so your speaker may sound better facing down through a grill because that's what it was designed for.

I am in complete agreement with mabloodhound I wouldn't face the speaker up, but it is your RR

As a last note I will mention I worked for a company the built sound doors and sound proof rooms for Movie studios for 12years so my opinion is the coal load will kill more sound then it allows through.

NM

bigblock454

Wow... thanks. Although it is "my railroad", I value any input, especially when it come with the experience that you possess. That's what I'm here for! I may experiment, if not satisfied with the downward facing speaker, but so far even with the stock "miniscule" speaker, just removing grill and allowing the tender shell to be the speaker "cabinet" (removing enclosure) has added tremendously to the sound output and clarity. I recorded "before" mods, and will now record some "during" (with the mods I just mentioned), and will record again with new "extended bass" larger speakers, and certainly will again if I move speaker "under the coal load". Thanks again!

Norm