Wiring: Bachman Digital Command: Atlas Track Turnout (Switch): Tortoise Machine

Started by john.001, January 25, 2011, 08:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john.001

I know know what a Tortoise Machine is (new to me) and that it can be used to drive a turnout (switch or switches with more than one).  Can a Bachmann Digital Command (DCC) be the power source?  If so, how do you connect the Bachmann power to the Tortoise?  There's only a finite number of connectors I can find: (1) an I/O Port; (2) to track; (3) 16v input; and (4) from DC controller.  I've looked at the schematic for the Tortoise, but don't understand how the Bachmann can be the source of the power.

ACY

It can be, but you are better off just using an old power source and wiring it to the accessory terminals.

jward

you'd be better off wiring your tortoise off a seperate power supply, which is what i did.

if you are using a seperate dc power pack as an additional throttle with your ez command, you can use this pack's ac outputs to power your tortoise motor. first, you myst convert the ac to dc, by wiring a diode between the power pack and the switch controller. you only need a diode on one of the leads from the power pack. the tortoise motor is controlled by an atlas twin, which is two dpdt slide switches in a single case and can control two individual switch motors. the wiring is similar in concept to wiring the standard twin coil switch motors whrough a switch control box.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

Hope too many replies don't confuse you, but...

I also use an old power pack, left over from my childhood.  I wired my tortoise switch machine to the DC output (normally for the tracks).  I also wired my street lights to the same output.

Now I can control the brightness of the scene, AND the speed with which the switch machine will operate.

I have a bus feeder, from the DC output that runs the length of my layout.  The lights and switch machine are tapped into the bus wire.  I will be adding more switch machines in the future.

Here's my thread on my adventures with a tortoise.  If you perform a search, several pages of threads come up on the same topic.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,14781.0.html

Regards,

Jonathan