News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-2 spectrum , dcc

Started by grumpy ii, January 28, 2011, 06:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumpy ii

i purchase a spectrum 2-10-2 with dcc on board, only to find i would not run on 18 in rad track any help, the guide wheels hit the cylinders in a turn and knocks them off the track.

ACY

Get 22" radius, it was not intended to run on 18" radius. Many people are telling others that a certain loco will run on a certain radius when it is not always the case. Every locomotive is different, so one loco may run on 18" radius while another that appears to be the same may not, and there is no obvious explanation as to why it will not run on the 18" radius curves.

bobwrgt

Check your wheel gauge and make sure you are using the last (furthest) hole in the drawbar. I have two that run fine on 18in radius sectional track with no problems at all speed. Check both the track and the wheels.
Also make sure the wires between engine and tender are free to move (flex).
If the front pilot truck is the only problem you might try checking the mounting hole for the screw and see if there are any burrs making it to tight. There is room to move the wheels forward a bit or loosen the connection around the screw.
I suspect some think they have 18in radius but use flex track and didn't lay down the track correctly  to 18inch in some cases.

Bob

rogertra

As the magazines keep on telling and telling and telling people.

If you have small radius curves, i.e. below 24" radius, then you should only use steam locos from say the 2-8-2 down, and only four axle first or second generation diesels and freight cars of 50 ft or shorter.  Even a 2-8-2 is a bit of a pinch on 18".

If you try and run anything larger then you are just asking for trouble, as you've found out.

bobwrgt

If you stick to the recommended min radius of 22in as published and those that generalize that 6 axle locomotives need 22-24in radius then you will save a lot of money saved by limiting your fleet.
I don't pay attention to the above information but ask who has actually tried it. That is why my fleet is so large and i run a lot of large engines on 18in radius with no problems.
Have fun and run whatever works on your railroad.

Bob

Atlantic Central

Sure, Bob is right, do whatever you want, but don't complain when it does not work after those with technical experiance have told you it will likely be a problem.

Minimum radius suggestions from manufacturers are surely going to have some wiggle room because they are going to allow for less than perfect track. BUT, unless you think you are the "perfect track master" than you would be wise to follow their recommendations.

Again, do what you like, but I'll tell you what I do - I have 36" radius as my minimum mainline radius, with very carefully layed track and spiral easments - and I won't run a 2-10-2 on my layout - just because of looks. I limit loco size based on "Rigid Wheelbase", the distance from the center to center of any drivers on a fixed frame.

For example the rigid wheel base of an articulated loco is only the based on one set of drivers.

For me that limit is 20 scale feet - that is based on some known prototype info on curves and locomotive design. That rules out a 2-10-2 since its rigid wheelbase is nearly 22'.

My trains never derail.

Sheldon

bobwrgt

Haven't had a problem or complaint in over 45 years. Over 350 engines in my fleet.
Something must be working for me.
Run what you can and have fun.

Bob

hawaiiho

I have six 2-10-2 locomotives. All run just fine on my two 22 inch radius curves.
The ability to handle the 18" radius curves varies from locomotive. Some handle
18 inch radius just fine. A couple have occasional problems and one won't do it at all.
Even the ones that will handle 18" curves do not look very good doing it.