News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SMOKE UNITS

Started by 671, January 10, 2011, 03:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I CURRENTLY OWN FOUR WILLIAMS BY BACHMANN LOCOS, GP9, SEMI-SCALE HUDSON, GG-1 SEMI SCALE, AND A BERSHIRE. THE TWIN ENGINE DIESELS ARE GOOD RUNNERS. THE STEAMERS WOULD DO BETTER WITH A LOWER GEARING, BUT THEY ARE GOOD RUNNERS.  MY ONLY COMPLAINT, AT THIS TIME, ARE THE SMOKE UNITS. THE SEMI-SCALE HUDSON SMOKE UNIT IS NON-PERFORMING AFTER ITS' SECOND USE. IT GETS HOT, IT ONLY PUFFS ONCE WHILE ADDING WILLIAMS SMOKE FLUID AND THEN STOPS. I CAN HEAR A CRACKLING SOUND FROM THE UNIT BUT NO SMOKE PRODUCTION. I HAVE DRAINED THE SMOKE UNIT BLEW IT OUT WITH LOW PRESSURE FROM MY COMPRESSOR, STILL THE SAME RESULTS. THE BERKSHIRE IS STILL SMOKING AFTER FOUR TIMES USE THE SAME AS THE FIRST DAY.
     THE QUESTION IS ARE THERE ANY REPLACEMENT AFTERMARKET SMOKE UNITS THAT CAN BE FITTED INTO THESE LOCOS TO HELP SATISFY MY NEED FOR SMOKE?

THANKS,.......671

Joe Satnik

Dear 671,

Reduce the voltage getting to the motor, while leaving the smoke unit connected to the track voltage.  You will then need to run your transformer at a higher speed setting, thus increasing the voltage to your smoke unit.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,15415.0.html

(Skip down to last post in thread.)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

the nitro man

put four sets of diode pairs on the motor to reduce the power, then run the smoke unit off track current. ground one to the motor ground frame nut, & the other to the wire that comes from the center rail. it should smoke like crazy.

Thank you JOE and NITROMAN. I am trying to find an aftermarket smoker that will really Smoke me out. I Beleive that the  smoke unit has a voltage / current control. Reducing the current/voltage to the motor will probably not increase the output of the smoker. I am trying to locate a great puffing / high output smoker to replace the stock unit. I have a NEEEEED for SMOKE. A unit that puffs and really puts out. I do not care about my " lifetime warrenty " I want high volume, long lasting smoke.
      As I have stated, the Steamers are a little bit too high on their gear ratios. Higher revs on the electric motor and lower speeds on the engines would make me a much happier owner of Williams products. Power is more important than reckless speed. Ten volts to my track = too high a speed less pulling power.
       I own and run several original Lionel F3's. Power is the best. There is nothing better than hauling a long line of 1940-1950's cars at a realistic speed. I love it!!!!
Please help me with my quest. I need a puffing ,high out put smoker. I am not happy with the Seuthe style puff-pop poor smoke unit that comes with a WBYB steamer.
                           Thanks, 671

the nitro man

again, i by passed the board that the smoke unit plugged into. you reduce the voltage going to the motor to get it to work with the zw, but run the smoke unit off of track power (before the rectifier diodes). this will give you the smooth start/stop using your zw275, & it will smoke like a "train".

i just went through it all last week, & now it's fixed.

I would like to thank all for the input. I still would like to know if there is an aftermarket puffing smoke unit that could be installed within the Williams locos. I.e. The Berkshire and the semi-scale Hudson. I would like to shy away from the Seuthe style unit if at all possible. I am in need of a fan driven unit. I NEED SMOKE!!!

Thanks 671

bobbie21921

it is possible that you could install either a Universal Smoke unit from MTH or do a gut transfer and turn it into an MTH Protosound Engine.  Either of the options are out there.  If you want puffing Smoke then you will need to do a Gut and Replace With a Proto sound board and smoke unit from MTH.  If you want a steady stream of smoke based on power put to the engine like a diesel then the univetrsal Smoke unit will work for you.  These units are Fan Driven. These as far as I know are the only viable options out there for what you are looking for.
Bobbie Emerson

bobbie21921,
                     Thanks for the heads-up on a MTH Universal smoke unit. Any Idea as to the best Place, Price and Availability to locate one unit. It does not need to puff just SMOKE, I have Grandchildren that like to see Smoke. I really like the Williams' engines, They would be perfect if I could increase duration and output of the smoke.
                             Thanks,

bobbie21921

Give Marge at MTH Parts a call at MTH Trains.  She can also give you the dimensions and current Pricing
sorry it took a bit to get back to you
Bobbie
Bobbie Emerson

phillyreading

I looked in the Williams parts and there is no replacement smoke unit for any steam engine.  >:(
Maybe an MTH universal smoke unit may work, as MTH has great smoke output.
I don't like to mess with resistors and such just to make a smoke unit work.

Lee F.