News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A Layout Reference Source

Started by CNE Runner, February 05, 2011, 10:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

With the number of posters new to the hobby (or building their first layout), I thought it prudent to pass along a couple of ideas to build that all important reference file. [You do keep a reference file don't you?]

Saving back issues of Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman is a good idea...until one accumulates several years worth of magazines. A better idea is to save the current issue until next month's offering arrives. At that point go through the older issue - either cutting out articles of interest or scanning them to either a flash drive or the hard drive. If you decide upon the cutting-out-the-article route, I suggest you purchase an expandable file (the ones with several sections) and have sections for scenery, rolling stock, structures, etc. [Use the headings in your Walthers catalog to get you started on naming the sections.]

Since a picture is worth a thousand words; start an electronic library of interesting (and well done) scenes you find on the internet (or the Bachmann forum). Case in point is the fall foliage scene on this month's edition of Carl Arendt's website. Check it out at
Notice the amazing realism of the scene in the first article (an English chap modeling a railroad in Vermont). The use of fallen leaves is probably something I wouldn't have thought of - and their loss would definitely detract from the whole scene.

I have accumulated an extensive 'image' library of everything from Plymouth switching locomotives to railside structures. I never know when I will need a specific image (if ever); but it sure helps to have one available to make that scene more accurate.

Food for thought,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"