Could use some DCC Decoder change over help for sound

Started by darticus, February 05, 2011, 11:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darticus

Do you save the old factory decoders? You would have to label it to wire colors. Ron

Quote from: darticus on February 06, 2011, 05:50:52 PM
Thanks for the help. These old eyes have to study this better and try what you said. I guess I can drill through the base and use a dremmel tool to grind it. You don't think the speaker will fit up top with some holes drilled in the top of the tender? Ron

Quote from: skipgear on February 06, 2011, 05:22:14 PM
You have to have the decoder installed to truely hear what it will sound like. Without the motor hooked up, the BEMF can't detect the load and change the sound of the chuff.

I unsolder the factory decoder from the light board and simply reinstall the sound decoder in the same solder points.  You may be able to vent the speaker out the bottom of the tender, below the lightboard. That would save space and use the entire tender as the enclosure. Be warned that the tender frame is metal though, it will take some work to get though it. You should remove the lightboard and the plastic insulator plate under it from the frame before cutting.

darticus

Now that I'm getting the decoder to work and have it installed does anyone know how loud the decoder sound should be at maybe a distance to let me know if the baffle is working properly. This is the Spectrum Heavy mountain and the Digitrax SDN144SP decoder.

skipgear

It is really a personal preference. I set mine up so that they can be heard plainly from about 3-4 ft. I don't like the loco to be heard around the entire layout just when the loco is in view, jus as the real thing. I can hear the rumble of a real train up to 3 miles away but to hear distinctive sounds it needs to be within a half mile or so. Watch some video's of real trains and adjust it to fit your taste.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

darticus

Sounds good. Ron

Quote from: skipgear on February 07, 2011, 11:57:56 PM
It is really a personal preference. I set mine up so that they can be heard plainly from about 3-4 ft. I don't like the loco to be heard around the entire layout just when the loco is in view, jus as the real thing. I can hear the rumble of a real train up to 3 miles away but to hear distinctive sounds it needs to be within a half mile or so. Watch some video's of real trains and adjust it to fit your taste.