News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

figure 8

Started by Highfiver, February 05, 2011, 03:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACY

Here is the misalignment which causes the need for more space than a standard 36" diameter oval.

pjsdad

he seems to have room for the 60 degree version. In that case if the 60 degree x-over is to long you can use shorter straights.

Joe Satnik

ACY,

Anyrail shows the 30 degree crossing length as 11.93", or about 11-15/16".    How did you get 'almost 13" long' ?

Many years ago I noticed that the "Bachmann recommended" 30 degree crossing was too long (without cutting) for a "natural" (perfect geometry) 18"R x 30 degree Figure-8.

I calculated that the 30 degree crossing length needed to be 9.65", or about 9-5/8" for that purpose.  (Formula on request.)

(You need to cut off 1-1/8" from each of the 4 legs to get it near perfect length.)

In higher degree (45, 60, 90, e.g.) crossing cases, the crossing piece is short of the length needed, and 4 equal straight lengths are added to the

legs of the crossing piece.   

Terry Toenges managed to find a yard situation where the uncut crossing would work:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,661.0.html

(Scroll past first photo.)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ACY

I used the ruler tool and put the ends of the arrows on the each end of the piece of one route.

Joe Satnik

ACY,

Parts of the track pieces that slide by one another are not counted in the length. 

Measure the top of the rail-head only.

Hunt,

You can't beat imperfection. 

Joe

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ACY

I opened up anyrail, this time I did get 11.94", but I opened up the one I saved from yesterday where it shows the supposed misalignment and the arrows went to the same places on the piece and it read 12.94", I then proceeded to make a second measurement using a second ruler on the program and got 11.94"; it must have been a glitch with the program.