News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E44

Started by e44e33, February 07, 2007, 06:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e44e33

Mr. Bach Man,
Should I continue to modify E33 frames to accept my brass E44 bodies, or can we expect to see an E44 from Bachmann in the future?

Rich Clark

the Bach-man

Dear Rich,
None has been announced, so keep working...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

lapuce033

I think that the E44 would make alot of people in the hobby happy especially in HO scale...

Terry

Conrail Quality

Of course, as long as they get the Conrail paint scheme done right...
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Conrail Quality

With the E60 re-release coming closer, I figured it was an appropriate time to resurect this old topic. Is there any chance of an E44? And on a side note, will we ever see an E33 in N-scale?
Timothy

Woody Elmore

Let's be gentlemen and not mention Penn Central or Conrail on this board.

I ran in horror as the grandson of a friend of mine proudly showed me the HO layout he built in his play room. It was really nice but when I saw his PC GG-1 (he said he got a deal on Ebay) I froze. Yikes.

Equally horrible is any GG-1 in Conrail blue (or where they black - couldn't bear to look too long - afraid of eye damage) with that silly white can opener thing on its side.

I vote for an E-44 in NH colors!

Conrail Quality

Quote from: Woody Elmore on September 29, 2007, 08:37:37 AM

Equally horrible is any GG-1 in Conrail blue (or where they black - couldn't bear to look too long - afraid of eye damage) with that silly white can opener thing on its side.

Only one Conrial GG-1 got that honor, and that's because it had been painted into bicentenial colors. ;D

The rest loked like this. :'(

I agree, Conrail was less than imaginative in their paint schemes.

Nice idea about the NH E44. Do you mean in green and gold, on in orange and black? Somehow I can't imagine an E44 in green and gold.
Timothy

BillD53A

Rivets was painted CornRail blue.

BillD53A

GG1 # 4800 (originally 4899) was the first of the class.  It had a riveted car body.  In 1978 it was painted in Conrail Blue.  It was the only G to get that paint job.  In 1969, 4902 was painted blue with yellow lettering to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the driving of the gold spike.  In 1955, 3 units, 4866, 4872 and 4880 were painted silver.

From 'The GG1 Homepage'

http://www.spikesys.com/GG1/paint.html

BillD53A

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/prr/prr4902a.jpg   
(4902 in American Railroads Centennial blue)

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cr/cr4800r.jpg
(Rivets in CR blue)

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cr/cr4800atd.jpeg
(Rivets in Bicentennial)

All from George Elwood's "Fallen Flags" website

BillD53A

BillD53A

AAARRGGGHH!!!

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cr/cr4800.atd.jpg

(you already saw a picture of that anyway!)

r.cprmier

OK, Woody;
You rattled the bushes and out I came...I'm with you!!!  New Haven GG-1!

ONLY.........in PRE-McGUINNES Pullman Green and Imitation Gold.  Can't you just see it now...a BIG New Haven herald in resplendant calligraphy on the nose!  I love it!!!!!

Rich

PS:  No one will believe me about the DL-109s painted in aluminum with white pins and herald.  I used to see them on the Old Colony line a lot as  kid.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Woody Elmore

I realize that there are people who model the Penn central and Conrail.

The PC was a sad era for railroading in general and I just never developed an interest for Conrail. Look at the picture of the Conrail GG-1 posted above. I think it's awful (remembering riding behind a GG-1 with the gold cat whisker striping.)

I never did see a real Conrail GG-1 with that wheel and rail logo (which I call a can opener.) My recollection is seeing a model in custom (!) paint at one of the Timonium shows. Very weird looking.

The New Haven had lots of interesting color schemes but I remember the electrics in orange and black. I was very happy to see that they (the MTA?) restored an FL-9 to the Maginnis colors. They were in awfully bad shape.

The New Haven green was classy and much nicer than the later circus colors. I have no idea if the E-44's were ever painted in green and gold.

r.cprmier

E-44s-EF-4s-"Bricks"-were all painted red with the white striping and black lettering.  I don't know who did the artwork for the New Haven, but they did a classy job-always...except for that "PT Barnum" paint scheme.  Have you ever seen the picture of the DL-109 in that paint scheme?  I am not one to feel sorry for a mechanism, but the poor loco deserved better!  All I can think of is Dumbo in that awful clown costume.
To me, that paint scheme represents the worst era of New Haven history -and the New Haven had a history of rapacious board members, and nefarious operations.

The E-33 "brick" was one of the more intelligent moves the New Haven made in purchasing them from the "Virginian".   They provided dependable service to the freight operations-especially hauling the "float trains", and the TOF trains.  These wre rugged, well-built engines,and had been well-cared for by their parent railroad.  There is a picture of one night shot at Oak Point yard, in which one is raising its pan to the wire.  What a beautiful picture!!

The other "motors", with the exception of one EP-3 and all of the "jets" (EP-5s) were all left green and gold.  The New Haven "motors" were a really neat looking, well-running group of locomotives, products of Baldwin, Westinghouse, and GE.  I would love to see them reporduced in HO scale at a reasonable price.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!