News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

18" radius passenger cars

Started by Geno, February 10, 2011, 07:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Geno on February 13, 2011, 06:43:43 PM
Thanks very much for all your replies.  I think the look I've settled on is the Tyco lighted cars from probably the 1960's.  I actually had a couple of these given to me by a friend but didn't know what they were.  Anyway I scored a set on ebay and I think they will be just perfect. I would think some company would reissue these and that they would sell to people who are beginners or not interested or able to build large radius layouts but want a passenger look.  Thanks again all!

I'm sure these will work well for you. I have no trouble running these cars on 18"-radius curves.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: OldTimer on February 11, 2011, 08:03:23 AM
Athearn streamline cars ought to run on 18"R curves.  They're "shorties" (about 70') and have truck mounted couplers.  They're on e-Bay all the time.  They're "shake the box" kits and very easy to light.  The PRR cars are tuscan red; all the others are silver with a contrasting stripe.
OldTimer

Does anybody happen to know the length, in scale feet, of the Athearn heavyweight passenger cars?

I was just on the web site but coudn't find that information--which, of course, doesn't mean it's not there. ...  ::)

ACY

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on February 18, 2011, 09:51:32 AM
Does anybody happen to know the length, in scale feet, of the Athearn heavyweight passenger cars?
I was just on the web site but coudn't find that information--which, of course, doesn't mean it's not there. ...  ::)
I think they are 70' or .804' (9.644") if you measure with a ruler. I don't have mine handy to measure for sure, but even though they are not the full 89', they still run best on 22" radius or greater.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: ACY on February 18, 2011, 10:13:55 AM
I think they are 70' or .804' (9.644") if you measure with a ruler. I don't have mine handy to measure for sure, but even though they are not the full 89', they still run best on 22" radius or greater.

Thanks!

I've never had trouble running them on 18"-radius, though I'm sure they look better on a wider curve. But I never knew how many feet long those cars are supposed to be.

r0bert

Standard protype heavyweight and streamline passenger cars are 85' long, with specialized cars like some baggage, rpo (60', 72'), and cafe/diners (70', 72') being shorter, but not always.
A few of the eastern railroads, operated shorter 60' coaches over some routes, and there were also super long articulated cars out west, but the standard off the shelf 20th century passenger car clocked in at 85'.
Both the Athearn, and Con-Cor make Streamline cars that are 72' scale feet long, except the Athearn RPO which is shorter (60') and represent shortened versions of full size 85' cars.
Add-on light kits can be added to either brand, and properly installed have no effect on radius handling ability.
Full length cars, really need 30" or more radus curves to look right operating.
I know you want a long string of stainless steel beauties serving your local depot, we all do, but if you keep your train short, say 3-4 of the 72 footers, pulled by a single F7 or A-B set, it will look better and more in scale with your tight curves.
When it comes to passenger cars, remember "Broader is Better"  

timhar47

Funny-I really like the shorty psgr cars, but refused to pay ConCor's crazy price of $120 for 2. Walthers used to sell a nice full train set with shorty cars, but they stopped it. Anyway I just won an old 'new' set of 6 PRR Roundhouse Harriman Coaches on EBAY, all are short length - the funny part is that they had put detail in having setps at each corner of the car that drop down, but this limits the truck-mounted coupler so much that the car will choke on 18"r curves! I had to file off the innermost upper step on each corner to allow additional swing of the trucks. Since its the upper step, its kinda hidden by the sideframe of the coach anyway.
Who would have guessed a shorty car that would run well on 18"r - wierd.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: timhar47 on February 19, 2011, 12:54:36 PM
Funny-I really like the shorty psgr cars, but refused to pay ConCor's crazy price of $120 for 2. Walthers used to sell a nice full train set with shorty cars, but they stopped it. Anyway I just won an old 'new' set of 6 PRR Roundhouse Harriman Coaches on EBAY, all are short length - the funny part is that they had put detail in having setps at each corner of the car that drop down, but this limits the truck-mounted coupler so much that the car will choke on 18"r curves! I had to file off the innermost upper step on each corner to allow additional swing of the trucks. Since its the upper step, its kinda hidden by the sideframe of the coach anyway.
Who would have guessed a shorty car that would run well on 18"r - wierd.

The Walthers passenger set of shorty cars were the Rivarossi 60' cars. Rivarossi currently has the coach and baggage cars available in unmarked Pullman Green, Chicago Northwest and Pennsylvania livery. The older Rivarossi sets still show up on E=Bay. These cars are very detailed and come with interior finish.
Pacific Northern

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Pacific Northern on February 19, 2011, 05:48:33 PM
The Walthers passenger set of shorty cars were the Rivarossi 60' cars. Rivarossi currently has the coach and baggage cars available in unmarked Pullman Green, Chicago Northwest and Pennsylvania livery. The older Rivarossi sets still show up on E=Bay. These cars are very detailed and come with interior finish.

I just scored a set of four of these cars: baggage, RPO, combine, and coach. I'm looking forward to receiving them. I expect the combine and coach will see the most running on my small layout.

Len

Funny-I really like the shorty psgr cars, but refused to pay ConCor's crazy price of $120 for 2.

Not sure what you're looking at. Walthers web site shows Con-Cor 72ft HO passenger cars at $23.98 each:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=Passenger&scale=H&manu=223&item=&keywords=72&words=restrict&instock=Y&split=300&Submit=Search

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Doneldon

timhar-

The Walther's cars are very nice for the money, especially if you're looking for painted lightweights. I don't think the primarily stainless cars look as good because the silver paint looks like what it is, not stainless steel. If you want the shiny stainless look go for the aluminum extrusion cars. Polish them a little and spray with whatever shine level you prefer and you're set for a long while. They are good looking, strongly resemble stainless and are physically tough.
                                                                                                                -- D

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Len on February 22, 2011, 02:37:09 PM
Funny-I really like the shorty psgr cars, but refused to pay ConCor's crazy price of $120 for 2.

Not sure what you're looking at. Walthers web site shows Con-Cor 72ft HO passenger cars at $23.98 each:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=Passenger&scale=H&manu=223&item=&keywords=72&words=restrict&instock=Y&split=300&Submit=Search

Len

These are the new coaches made by Con Cor

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/223-94001

The level of detail on these coaches passes Walthers coaches.in my opinion
Pacific Northern

Len

Nice cars! Were they a special run, or is Con-Cor doing a 'high end' series of cars along with their standard line??

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Len on February 22, 2011, 04:00:42 PM
Nice cars! Were they a special run, or is Con-Cor doing a 'high end' series of cars along with their standard line??

Len

These cars are the Con Cor better quality cars. There are also a new set of 4 heavyweight cars that are to be released soon as well.

Branchline-Commuter-Suburban

http://www.con-cor.com/

http://www.con-cor.com/094200BCS.html

I have pre-ordered a few sets of these.

Pacific Northern

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Pacific Northern on February 23, 2011, 01:24:50 AM
These cars are the Con Cor better quality cars. There are also a new set of 4 heavyweight cars that are to be released soon as well.

I put in a pre-order for a coach and baggage/mail in the GN paint scheme. Might cancel it, though. The price is pretty steep. I have to think on this some more.  :-\

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on February 23, 2011, 03:12:41 PM
Quote from: Pacific Northern on February 23, 2011, 01:24:50 AM

I put in a pre-order for a coach and baggage/mail in the GN paint scheme. Might cancel it, though. The price is pretty steep. I have to think on this some more.  :-\
I was going to order a set of the ConCor GN coaches as well, but I lucked out and recently found a couple of sets of the 60' Rivarossi in the GN Empire Builder scheme as well as the NP scheme as well.
Pacific Northern