News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question for Bach-Man

Started by wdcrvr, February 12, 2011, 01:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdcrvr

I have just purchased a brand new Bachmann SY9 2-8-2 DCC Mikado.  I am trying to run it on Bachmann DCC controller.  When I first address the engine it is perfectly quiet but when I start increasing the speed control it starts making a very noticeable humming or vibrating sound.  Eventually the engine starts moving but the sound continues.

What is wrong and what do I do about it?

wdcrvr

Doneldon

woody-

There's nothing wrong with your locomotive. They can make
a little electrical noise, especially when new. Once the loco is
broken in it will be quieter and smoother. Enjoy your train!

-- D

r0bert

The stock Bachmann decoder is not a "silent" type decoder, and will growl, especially at low speeds.
If it really bugs you, you can replace the Bachmann decoder with another like a Digitrax DH123PS, or similar decoder from another manf.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: r0bert on February 13, 2011, 01:47:09 AM
The stock Bachmann decoder is not a "silent" type decoder, and will growl, especially at low speeds.
If it really bugs you, you can replace the Bachmann decoder with another like a Digitrax DH123PS, or similar decoder from another manf.

The DH123PS is not a good choice. This decoder does not have EMF. Make sure your replacement decoder has EMF.
Pacific Northern

cmd

new to this.  can't spot a place to delete.  sorry

Jim Banner

I too like BEMF control, particularly in steam locomotives.  However, you will receive no benefits from the extra cost if your "Bachmann DCC controller" cannot program the BEMF CVs.  The Dynamis can.  The basic E-Z Command cannot.

Jim

cmd,

When you see your message after you have posted it, it will have 3 buttons in the upper right corner.  One of them deletes your message.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

NarrowMinded

I just started using the TCS MC2p's with BEMF, I have installed 3 so far, two plugged in, one I soldered into a loco from the digital diesel commander set. all three loco's run a ton quieter then they did with before without any fiddling with the decoder settings.

NM

Jim Banner

NM,

These silent decoders will run quieter even with the BEMF turned off.  Have you tried turning function 7 on and off to see the difference in low speed operation with and without BEMF control?

Jim

GRZ

howdy, please forgive my mistakes, as the confuzer & I dint work together very smoother yet>> I have a richman 440, and love it!! out Ive the box it is fantastic!! but how can I remove the lettering from the tender?? I should have waited and got the black I guess, thank you for your help.Griz..also can I advertise our model RR show some  where on your page?? thank you.

NarrowMinded

Jim,
I have not done that, by default BEMF is on, I'm still learning with these decoders and all they can do and what you can do with function buttons, I just reread the notes that come with it so I'll program CV61 to 3 to enable the on/off function.

What would be the benefit from turning it off?

I will try turning them on and off tonight to and listen for any difference.

I will say I really like the improved running of every loco I have after installing these decoders, the downside is? well haven't found one yet...

NM

Jim Banner

NM,
I really like BEMF, particularly for switching and for smooth starts for passenger trains.  About the only time I turn it off is when double heading which is more with diesels than steamers.  With multiple locomotives running BEMF, they tend to fight one another.  One will decide it is not going fast enough and will apply more power until its wheels spin.  The other will decide it is going too fast and will reduce power until its wheels drag.  I love mountain railroading and use multiple units to get the job done, not just for show.  So I end up running road locomotives without BEMF to get the tonnage over the grades.

Jim

NarrowMinded

Thanks Jim,
I had not thought of how BEMF would react with changing loads do to another loco's effect. I don't run many double headers but I'll have to file that away for when I do.

NM