News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Spectrum Magnum transformer

Started by revruncop, February 13, 2011, 06:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revruncop

I have one of the above transformers and it still works very well. The varible output terminals are not marked positive/negative. Can you tell me which is which on this transformer?
Thanks, RC

Joe Satnik

Dear revruncop,

It will depend on which way the direction switch is set. 

Have someone with a volt meter (or multi-meter) read the polarity for you, or go buy a DVM and read it yourself.

Every model train hobbyist should own one and know how to use it.

Harbor Freight sometimes has them on sale for as low as $2.

I've heard the old Spectrum Magnum power packs are pretty nice, especially the ones with volt and amp meters. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Jim Banner

No meter and don't want to buy one?  Attach a pair of copper wires to the power pack.  Stick them into a freshly cut potato, about 1/2" apart.  Turn on the power and wait a short while.  The potato will turn green around the positive wire.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

Jim-

Doen't this make your potato taste like an old penny?

-- D

Jim Banner

Quote from: Doneldon on February 14, 2011, 11:21:43 PM
Jim-
Doen't this make your potato taste like an old penny?
                                               -- D

I don't know.  What does an old penny taste like?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Hellhound

The Spectrum Magnum Premier is the good one with meters and the momentum and brakes. It is rated at 2 amps but I have run mine over 2.5 amps and saw it peg the amp meter when a locomotive shorted out. I have run as many as 12 newer locomotives on that power supply. Some of the antique locos draw as much as half an amp so I can only run 4 of those. I have had two standard Spectrum Magnums die. Those are the smaller ones without meters or momentum and brakes. The last one that malfunctioned lost reverse. Those power supplies use special screws so I haven't been able to take it apart to replace the direction switch. I now have four of the Premiers, those are reliable and never have caused a problem. I have had nothing but problems with the standard Spectrum Magnums.

Doneldon

Jim-

"I don't know.  What does an old penny taste like?"

Like a potato that someone connected to a power pack.

-- D

r0bert

with the loco on the track right in front of you, set the direction switch to the left,
if the loco moves to the right, anti-clockwise, reverse the wires, if the lloco moves to the left, clockwise, you're good to go.