Main Menu

thomas set ideas

Started by 7029cluncastle, February 15, 2011, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTierce1

OK so there is your Gordon set.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

branmas

i have two set ideas. the first one is called "working hard on the little western". it would have duck, 2 red branchline coaches(regular), a red branchline coach(brake), oliver, toad and some trucks. the second one is called "thomas to the rescue". it could have thomas, the brake down train, henry, lots of troublesome trucks, a siding, weak buffers and a brakevan. what do you think?

7029cluncastle

Ive been off the forum for a while now and hve been thinking, how about (i know some of these characters havent been produced yet but A Misty Island Day's Work, Bash, Dash and Ferdinard with 6 flat beds that have jobi wood secured ontop? Or the Horrid Lorries set: Thomas, James, Percy and Toby with the three horrid Lorries on flatbeds after their accidents?
"There are two ways of doing things: the Great Western way, or the wrong way. I' m Great Western and..."

JLK2707

How about a Special Funnel set which would have the following:

1. Peter Sam without a funnel.
2. Skarloey Railway Coaches.
3. Guard's Van.
4. Oval Of Track With Tunnel.

ClearwtaerMK2

BACHMANN WILL NEVER MAKE ANY NARROW GAUGE STUFF!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

branmas

Quote from: ClearwtaerMK2 on July 22, 2011, 07:16:00 AM
BACHMANN WILL NEVER MAKE ANY NARROW GAUGE STUFF!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(
woah dude, chiilax. they might some day. we will just have wait and see.

jettrainfan

can we all stop blowing up? A simple "there is a very low chance they will be made  ::) "  would be a lot more civil. Maybe they will, maybe they wont. i doubt it personally but im not the boss... so get a drink of water or something and chill out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Anthony P2

who knows we got Tidmouth, Knapford, and Bill and Ben. people said that Bachmann would never make them but they did. and if bachmann ever made the NG engines they would make "special" ones like Peter Sam w/out funnel or Sir Handel under his fist name "Falcon."

1. HiT has to give the OK
2. Bachmann has to do A LOT of research before development, like: how many they can sell within a year, and room in the warehouse

I know this because i emailed Mr. Blaine about a product idea and he told me that they can't always do what they want even though they want to because of money issues. So trust me they DO listen to our ideas it's that money is the problem.

DinoNTrains

Quote from: 7029cluncastle on February 15, 2011, 01:58:50 PM
waht sets would you like to see appear in the future? you dont have to stick to the current stock, make it you fantasy sets!

To ClearwtaerMK2: See, this is fantasy. So there's no harm in people wondering about NG stuff.  :)
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

S.A.C. Martin

The problems with the narrow gauge engines are simple.

1. They haven't been seen for a long time. That may or may not be the case by the time of the next special after Day of the Diesels, we simply don't know. Nitrogen Studios, with Greg Tiernan, did however measure up the engines on the Talyllyn Railway last year.

2. Gauge. They are much smaller than the standard gauge engines, and if they were going to be made in any form, it would be in 00/HO gauge to match the current 00/HO range. The smaller N gauge range (which these speculative models would run on) is too small for the demographic the models would be targeted at (young children).

You would therefore either release models which are out of scale, and therefore similar in size to the HO/00 range that exists, or not, basically, compromise.

In contrast, the N Gauge Tomix range is only released in Japan currently, but then N gauge is their main scale (in that respect, it is a cultural difference and not strictly in the idea of business sense).

3. There are a base collection of six or seven models that could not really be released one at time, as the Bachmann range has been in recent years, to justify the expenditure in R&D or sell in enough quantities to develop more of them. Who would you make first? Rheneas? Skarloey? Sir Handel? Peter Sam? Duke, Duncan, etc etc...you make one, you need at least one of the others, and rolling stock to match.

I do think it's a missed opportunity by both Hornby and Bachmann, but to make the NG engines work, they'd have to work on 00/HO track, and you'd have to compromise on shape, size, overall proportions to make them useable enough for the small hands the ranges are intended for. Which would be a compromise too far, I feel.

So in theory - lovely idea - but it just won't happen, without a change of thinking somewhere between HiT and Hornby/Bachmann.

PasqualeCS96

I have brought this idea up before for narrow gauge engines, for chassis how about something similar to the chassis for cablecars/trollies?

branmas

Quote from: S.A.C. Martin on July 23, 2011, 09:37:42 AM
The problems with the narrow gauge engines are simple.

1. They haven't been seen for a long time. That may or may not be the case by the time of the next special after Day of the Diesels, we simply don't know. Nitrogen Studios, with Greg Tiernan, did however measure up the engines on the Talyllyn Railway last year.

2. Gauge. They are much smaller than the standard gauge engines, and if they were going to be made in any form, it would be in 00/HO gauge to match the current 00/HO range. The smaller N gauge range (which these speculative models would run on) is too small for the demographic the models would be targeted at (young children).

You would therefore either release models which are out of scale, and therefore similar in size to the HO/00 range that exists, or not, basically, compromise.

In contrast, the N Gauge Tomix range is only released in Japan currently, but then N gauge is their main scale (in that respect, it is a cultural difference and not strictly in the idea of business sense).

3. There are a base collection of six or seven models that could not really be released one at time, as the Bachmann range has been in recent years, to justify the expenditure in R&D or sell in enough quantities to develop more of them. Who would you make first? Rheneas? Skarloey? Sir Handel? Peter Sam? Duke, Duncan, etc etc...you make one, you need at least one of the others, and rolling stock to match.

I do think it's a missed opportunity by both Hornby and Bachmann, but to make the NG engines work, they'd have to work on 00/HO track, and you'd have to compromise on shape, size, overall proportions to make them useable enough for the small hands the ranges are intended for. Which would be a compromise too far, I feel.

So in theory - lovely idea - but it just won't happen, without a change of thinking somewhere between HiT and Hornby/Bachmann.
totaly agree with ya pal. but they might still! ???

Mulfred

I'd love to see the NG egnines made. I now the likely hood is like 99.9% that they won't get made but I'd would be awasome

branmas

Quote from: Mulfred on July 24, 2011, 03:56:07 AM
I'd love to see the NG egnines made. I now the likely hood is like 99.9% that they won't get made but I'd would be awasome
yeah, it would be awesome(but if in n scale that means i wont be able to get them :()!

7029cluncastle

This is where i come into this. In the uk (and a lot of other countries) there is a model railway gauge called 009/HOe, this is narrow gauge 00/HO. 009 scale consists of N gauge track, 00/HO scale buildings and locomotives that are the right scale to match 00/HO locomotives. So they are smaller in size but are the correct 1:76/1:87 scale. They maybe smaller than oo/HO standard gauge stock but they are much bigger than N gauge stock. Simple.
"There are two ways of doing things: the Great Western way, or the wrong way. I' m Great Western and..."