News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GP50 ?

Started by modlerbob, June 21, 2007, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modlerbob

Just when I'm telling people that Bachmann is getting their act together I see the picture of a Union Pacific GP50 with a high short hood.  No such loco ever existed.  Now I do like the fact that it is available as a Southern unit and a NS unit for which the high hood is correct.  Does UP know about and approve of this foobee.
Bob DeWoody

Franz T

The GP50 is a Standard line product which is aimed primarily at the toy train/train set market. (Sort of like the Con Cor Galloping Goose in PRR markings) Believe it or not, there are people out there who just want an engine in a particular roadname and although they probably know what a rivet looks like they don't care enough to count them.
Remember, anal retentiveness is an aquired habit (for most people.... ;D)

Franz T

daniel_leavitt2000

This engine was introduced in the mid 80's. It may have a new mechinism, but its the same body.

BTW the new B23-7 fits the U36B.

modlerbob

I'm not exactly a rivit counter and maybe there was a time when whether or not the UP had high nose GP50's or low nose didn't matter but I don't remember that far back.  And it is being billed as a featured product.
Bob DeWoody

ole

When I looked at the photos, I thought "Why would they show an old model as a new release?" Note the truck mounted couplers; I thought we got rid of those miserable things many years ago. If this is the same engine as their 1987 version, the 2001 MR review of N scale engines noted its "poor proportions".  Personally, I wouldn't buy it as none of the road names are of interest to me but re-releasing old models is a huge step back in my estimation. Please tell me that we aren't headed that way. Lee
Owyhee River & Western RR, a division of the C&S - Nevada

SWARTWOUT

Do yourself a really big favor "for-ever-more" and bite the bullet and buy an Atlas or Kato GP50 from BLW or someone else sure to have current design and production.  Stay away from "train set" stuff.  the key words are "hobby quality".