News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Scale Shay Trucks

Started by Geared Steam, February 22, 2011, 05:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geared Steam

Hey Bach-man, when are you going to have stock on replacement shay trucks? Anytime in the near future?
I know you are selling the side assemblies with shafts and gears but I need complete truck assemblies.

Thanks

the Bach-man

Dear Steam,
Contact the service department. They'll advise you on availability.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

mattyg1306

What exactly is it that is wrong with your Shay's trucks?  I actually just bought the driveline kit to repair my worn out gears (I actually had bought a set of the NWSL steel gears, but ended up bending the line shaft during installation...it really ISN'T as easy as everyone says...).  Although I'd imagined it would be complicated to replace the entire driveline, it WAS completely easy...only had to unscrew two screws and just pulled the old one off and slipped the old one on...EASY! 

If the gearing or anything on the "business side" of the engine is the problem, then this could be your answer.  Just refer to the schematic that came in the box with your Shay, and you won't have any problems.

Hope this helps!

richg

Quote from: mattyg1306 on March 29, 2011, 03:55:02 AM
What exactly is it that is wrong with your Shay's trucks?  I actually just bought the driveline kit to repair my worn out gears (I actually had bought a set of the NWSL steel gears, but ended up bending the line shaft during installation...it really ISN'T as easy as everyone says...).  Although I'd imagined it would be complicated to replace the entire driveline, it WAS completely easy...only had to unscrew two screws and just pulled the old one off and slipped the old one on...EASY! 

If the gearing or anything on the "business side" of the engine is the problem, then this could be your answer.  Just refer to the schematic that came in the box with your Shay, and you won't have any problems.

Hope this helps!

Geared Steam has a little experience. He just wants the complete trucks.

http://gearedsteam.blogspot.com/2009_08_17_archive.html

Save the link to Favorites and look around.

Rich

Geared Steam

Quote from: mattyg1306 on March 29, 2011, 03:55:02 AM

Hope this helps!

Hi Matty
Yes I had to install the NWSL upgrade gears to my earlier shay, like you I have found I have not needed to replace the gears on my newer shays (knock on wood). I was looking for the trucks for a future scratchbuilding project.  I liked my converted 3 T to 2 T shay (below) so much I have been thinking of more projects down the road. The Bachmann online parts website is a wonderful tool for scratchbuilding parts.  :)

mattyg1306

Funny, I was literally just looking at your website and projects yesterday and didn't make the connection that you had the same screenname on here.  I am also glad that Bachmann has many parts online now...heck of a step up from the two or three parts total that they had a couple years ago.  I actually prefer the diamond stack to the straight stack (probably because of Cass, lol), and now I can change over all of the straight stacks to diamond if I like.  Having the parts available also encourages more scratchbuilding, even just as far as taking the risk...if I mess something up during a customizing job, now I can just buy the replacement part and not have to worry about permanently injuring my locos...just my wallet  :P.    

You can see a few photos of my layout by clicking the link on my profile page if you like!