News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New G Scale Train, Need Info

Started by Laura816, February 24, 2011, 03:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura816

Called Bachmann and was transferred to voice mail. Voice mail doesn't answer questions....
Book says lubricate before using.  Have  oil but manual also wants gear "grease" in the gearbox.  How critical is this?  Local hobby shop has none.

Second, a G train ordered before Christmas came as a set with small square gray transformer which ran the train smoothly and quietly. But train was returned for other defect.  Reordered another much better loco...Spectrum series...twice as heavy as the first.  Separately bought the same little transformer and am now wondering if it will run this loco????  How can I find out how many amps I need for this loco and tender?

Thanks for any help.

Laura816

Thank you for the info.

Sorry I didn't mention which loco.  It is a 2-6-0 Spectrum  'G' series "Mogul" narrow gauge engine....#81491

Loco Bill Canelos

Laura your transformer should run the engine with several cars on a flat surface with no problem.  The transformer is not very heavy duty,  so if you will be running a lot with lots of extra cars it could become a problem.

The transformer is designed so that if it is overloaded an internal circuit breaker will shut it down and reset after it cools down.  If this starts happening pretty often it is a sure sigh you will need a better transformer.  If your LHS can't help you find a better transformer come back to this site and we will give you some ideas on where to get a better one.

As for the grease, ther is some put on at the factory.  light plastic compatible oil on the moving parts you can see should be ok.  If you bought it new there might be a DVD  in the box with lube instructions.

Enjoy you new Loco.  That one is sure a beauty. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!