News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Future of ON30

Started by Hamish K, March 03, 2011, 02:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg F

So, any guesses what the announcement will be this July?

A perfect July for me would be a much needed H****, and an update to the 2-6-0 (Updated wiring like a DCC plug in tender or DCC and Sound installed).

Greg

Sherwood

I am still hesitant to buy more Bachmann until they fully step up to the gear problems.  I understand the Shay has a fix, so I have taken mine off the shelf along with my Climax and run it quite a bit to see if I have the failure while the gears are still available.  I know I am risking that the Climax will join my railtruck for display only but so far so good for both geared locos.  Is there such a thing as a "good" shay (i.e. tolerances happen to line up not to split or allow the gear to spin) or is it a matter of time?  I had contemplated buying new ones with sound or adding it, but hate to put more money into them, especially where there is no fix on the Climax.

From previous post I understand that Bachmann will not replace or fix the rail truck, just trade for a rail bus that I don't want - anyone had a different experience?

Greg F

Sherwood,

I too have a Climax, so far no problems (Probably around 30 hours of run time). There are gears available for the On30 Shay from Bachmann and OSO/NWSL. I would imagine replacement Climax gears from Bachmann are the thicker updated type, maybe the Bach'man can let us know. I would guess OSO/NWSL can't be too far from releasing their gears too.

I would rather run my locos till they break on my shelf layout, than have them sitting in a box. You can now get a DCC ready Shay from Favorite spot for $60-70, add the $27 for NSWL gears and you are still around $120 if you factor in shipping. StAubinOn30 sells the Climax for $99, just keep your receipt and keep those gears lightly lubed with plastic compatible grease.

If I have to deal with bad bevel gears in the future, so be it. It is still much better than paying $600+ for a brass geared locomotive. Without Bachmann On30 I'd still be in HO  :o

G

kendoitall

Quote from: Greg F on May 02, 2011, 08:04:56 PM

A perfect July for me would be a much needed H****, and an update to the 2-6-0 (Updated wiring like a DCC plug in tender or DCC and Sound installed).

Greg

Just a guess here, but maybe the Mogul will return with DCC, maybe Soundtraxx?
It's a beautiful loco.
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

railtwister

Quote from: Greg F on May 02, 2011, 08:04:56 PM

Greg

Hi Greg,

While I also would love to see an updated 2-6-0 with additional tender pickup, DCC and optional factory installed sound, I think that wishing for any new Bachmann On30 is pretty pointless, given that they still have yet to ship last year's promises.

The release of replacement gears for the Shay are a step in the right direction, but what about all the split gear problems on their other locos, especially the Climaxes (both HO & On30), the On30 Railtruck, and even the Davenport siderod switcher? Until they address these factory defects, or at least acknowledge that there is a problem and say that they will work on it, I'm somewhat leery of ANY new Bachmann locos in any scale.

Regards,
Bill in FL

Stevelewis

Its  worrrying  to  read  of  these  gear  problems  with  Bachmann  Locos, having  just  returned to 0n30 modelling after  a  short  break  I have  just  purchased  a Climax, a mallet  and  a  2-8-0!

Any way to get to the point  of  this  thread...............  one  thing  I would  like to see in  the  0n30  range  is a  LARGE diesel loco!  This  may not  be  to  everyones  liking,  but I feel it may  do something to expand the  buyer  base and this help the overall continuance of the  sector.

I think  there  was  some  discussion  about  large  Narrow  Gauge  diesels a year or  so back??

Steve  ( Wales UK)
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

DWU

I sell alot of On30 models on Ebay,I no longer list in O or On3 only On30,the interest in the scale is high,not just in the US but all over the world.The scale now is too strong to let die.Our economy has hurt us all,their is no longer extra money for trains,guys just dont have the cash especially for brass.Although alot of us want DCC and sound their are many who dont or cant afford it,Bachman needs to pay attention to the little guy because their prices are creeping up to brass prices.Id like to see a company like MMI or BL come out with a GOOD Shay that dosent have gear problems,thats rare on brass locos.It would do Bachman good to have some compition in the marketplace,right now they have very little so we must put up with no so great locos.

railtwister

Quote from: Stevelewis on May 13, 2011, 09:01:51 AM
Its  worrrying  to  read  of  these  gear  problems  with  Bachmann  Locos, having  just  returned to 0n30 modelling after  a  short  break  I have  just  purchased  a Climax, a mallet  and  a  2-8-0!
Steve  ( Wales UK)

Steve,

At least 2 of your 3 new locos don't yet have a reputation for having cracked gears. I also have a Bachmann 2-8-0 and a Mallet and am fond of both. Good luck with your Climax, maybe you will be one of the lucky ones that won't have a gear problem.

Regards,
Bill in FL

Royce Wilson

I have a Bachmann 2-6-0 that was one of the original runs that I have and it is still running strong!
I have back dated it and now contemplating adding DCC and sound. Of course if you add up all the PSC brass parts added then the cost is up there with the newer engines.

Royce

S. Calloway

It seems to me that the rod engines are not having the problems that the geared engines are having. I now have four of the ten wheelers,I model the ET&WNC (Tweetsie) in the late thirties.All of these have sound and some have run for a very long time now with no problem at all. They run as good as any engine I have seen in brass and also with me ,If I add up all the extra detail parts added to these engines, They are approaching Brass prices!!    Dwayne

Jim Banner

To me, the future of 0n30 looks rosy and bright and would continue to do so even if B-mann dropped out of the market (which I hope they never do.)  Reason?  There are huge numbers of H0 mechanisms just waiting to be bashed into 0n30 locomotives.  And scratch building cars is a lot of fun if you can resist all those beautiful R-T-R cars ( I can't.)  The ready availability of H0 equipment is what convinced me to go with 0n30 instead of 0n3 when I decided to try a narrow gauge layout.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Tomcat

Jim,

well said. On30 and thanks: Bachmann did get me started into O-scale at all. A O-Std Gauge 2-Rail layout followed... And my first engine was the C&S No.21 Mogul. This little gem is worth to be re-introduced with DCC and preferably sound one day.

On30´s future looks bright and clear to me. Scratchbuilding rolling stock is fun, you´re right Jim. And I pray and hope that Bachmann will keep going in On30, even when we may need to adjust the speed a bit, the financial crisis will take its toll, but keep an eye on this forum: there are masses of On30 people out there begging for another masterpiece from Bachmann´s workbenches...

No in fact there´s light at the end of the tunnel, or - if we are going through a tunnel anyway, rather a high trestle to our Logging emporiumsm eh....?

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

S. Calloway

For all those of you with gear problems, I am sure Bachmann is listening. That is what will keep them in business.  When life gives you lemons, make lemonade( new gears,NWSL) Tear that sucker apart!! You may find it is alot of fun fixing something that is broke. Kinda like an old hot rod. Once you are done, you will enjoy what you have finished! ;)    Dwayne  Calloway

railtwister

Quote from: S. Calloway on October 25, 2011, 08:47:08 PM
For all those of you with gear problems, I am sure Bachmann is listening. That is what will keep them in business.  When life gives you lemons, make lemonade( new gears,NWSL) Tear that sucker apart!! You may find it is alot of fun fixing something that is broke. Kinda like an old hot rod. Once you are done, you will enjoy what you have finished! ;)    Dwayne  Calloway

I wish you were right, but I feel these complaints have been coming in for too many years now for this too be true. All you have to do is look at the street prices for these products to see what the educated modelers think they are worth, Rail trucks at about $40, Rail buses, Shays & Climaxes at $100 or less. These are truly beautiful models that would probably bring similar prices as static models, and with splitting gears, that's really about all they are, Static Models.

Bill in FL

DWU

Hello Railtwister,Well I just got chewed out by a fellow because Im bashing Bachman about gear problems and thats fine.It just seems to me theirs way too many shelf queens and static models than we need,why bother putting a motor in!