News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Future of ON30

Started by Hamish K, March 03, 2011, 02:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksco

Improved replacement gears for Climax locomotives in HO and On30 are available through the Bachmann service department.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13307.0.html

In regard to some of the existing products such as the Railtruck, Bachmann will absolutely address any production issues in future production runs. Until then Bachmann will be happy to issue a replacement for a defective product.

DWU

Thank you yardmaster,I think your service dept will be pretty busy,but it is good news!

railtwister

Quote from: Yardmaster on October 27, 2011, 02:57:47 PM
Improved replacement gears for Climax locomotives in HO and On30 are available through the Bachmann service department.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13307.0.html

In regard to some of the existing products such as the Railtruck, Bachmann will absolutely address any production issues in future production runs. Until then Bachmann will be happy to issue a replacement for a defective product.

Mr. Yardmaster,

Thanks for responding to this issue. Can you tell us whether the drive train in the upcoming Heisler was designed with these problems in mind in an effort to prevent them from occurring in a new release, or will we have to wait and see if the problem persists, and then wait for a fix after the fact?

Thanks,
Bill in FL

fredlove2laugh

I'm not sure of the future of On30. The one thing the other scales (HO, O, N, G...) have that
On30 doesnt is a consistant prototype. There is no B&O or PRR type prototypes that were organized, big-name railroads that had 30 inch gauge rails. There are not a lot of models to make because there is such a limited selection that you can make. Most of the On30 trains I see are made of modifyed or patch locomotives with O scale parts.

As for what I would like to see in On30... I'm not sure. "Wild" locomotives (like a 4-8-4) would be nice to see down the line. A little imagination with a prototypical influence would make On30 train from you guys (Bachmann) a lot more appealing. To be honest, I love the current selection of stock (not locomotives) because of their simplicity and wider (by comparison) selection.

For the locomotives, a On30 4-8-4 would be nice or a 2-8-4, 4-8-2, what ever. Something with imagination. Even a GE wide-cab GP60 in On30 would be cool.

I hope you take this seriously. Us On30 fans get models primarily from two (2) places, 1. scratch built models we make, or 2. You. I would love to see more locomotives.

Fred

NarrowMinded

Fredlove2laugh,

Don't forget not everyone in this hobby takes the same enjoyment from it, I'm into high detail scenery more then the locomotives and my Railroad is fictitious. I modify loco's and HO cars to use on my line and never give a second thought to whether there is a prototype that even remotely resembles it.

The biggest reason I do on30 is the amount of room I have and the desire for something bigger then HO, I have read many post and talked with many people who like the on30 because they can see it better.

I think on30 will be around for many many years and continue to grow.

Just my .02

NM-Jeff

Terry Toenges

With On30 it's the "neat" factor. The stuff was unique and not "run of the mill'.
There was so much innovation and "back yard mechanicing(sp)" in creating and adapting equipment to fit a company's individual railroading needs.
Feel like a Mogul.

fredlove2laugh

I see what you mean. But I am the 'prototype' guy. I like that stuff that makes a railroad diffrernt.

Fred

DWU

The wonder of the hobby allows each of us to follow our own path,we can veer right or left as we create our world,not being a rivet counter I seem to veer alot.Although their are many photos and books covering railroading they didnt get it all.I always say 100yrs ago these fellows didnt worry about taking pics of their creations so 100yrs later nuts like us could build models of it!We have no idea what they built and even in todays world contraptions are sitting in garages being built for a certain job.Narrow gauge allows me to dream,to create GOOFY things that MIGHT have been.Im almost making a living doing it on ebay,ALMOST!We model as we want yet all share our love of trains,to each their own!

Ken

In the book "Locomotivas Articuladas"  from Brazil are a few protoype kitbashs<G> of interest.

take 2    0-4-0Ts add lead / trailing trucks and you end up with a Garratt 2-4-0+0-4-2T
     take 2    80Ton SHAYS add tenders and convert them to 4-6-2s Pacific's
     lastly      a 80 Ton SHAY converted to a Kitson-Meyer style  2-6-0+0-6-2T

All used on Meter Gauge lines in Brazil.

When you look at some protoype kitbashs, there are lot's of kitbash's waiting to be done<G>.

Ken
       GWN

Michael C

On30 saved me from the prototype 'nitpicking madness'  ;) Now at last I am free to place any rivets where-ever I want!  :D Actually, I think that's why On30 has that rising popularity worldwide. Once you know everything about the prototype some (many) of us will feel the urge to create even the prototype, through freelancing. And narrow-gauge would be the most prototype-accurate place to go with this urge!  ;D

Tomcat

As I wrote earlier, I´m very thankful to the Bachmann folks since On30 got me started into O-Scale after beeing a HO guy with a European Prototype RR. This in fact opened a whole new world to me!

No doubt, never, that Bachmann does stand to On30 and pleae keep in mind folks, that the geared engines did not all have those drive train issues. My oldest Shays seem to run forever with no issues at all and my older Climax too. My Railtruck? Nope.

And: As Dwayne said, even when things get rough there will be someone on the aftermarket who will sort out problems. This time Bachmann has done that their own way, my 2nd Climax with gear problems does just run fine with replaced drive train.

To me, the future of On30 is bright and Bachmann is going to be a important part of it.
Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

Skarloey Railway

Quote from: fredlove2laugh on November 17, 2011, 09:02:48 PM
I'm not sure of the future of On30. The one thing the other scales (HO, O, N, G...) have that
On30 doesnt is a consistant prototype. There is no B&O or PRR type prototypes that were organized, big-name railroads that had 30 inch gauge rails. There are not a lot of models to make because there is such a limited selection that you can make. Most of the On30 trains I see are made of modifyed or patch locomotives with O scale parts.

As for what I would like to see in On30... I'm not sure. "Wild" locomotives (like a 4-8-4) would be nice to see down the line. A little imagination with a prototypical influence would make On30 train from you guys (Bachmann) a lot more appealing. To be honest, I love the current selection of stock (not locomotives) because of their simplicity and wider (by comparison) selection.

For the locomotives, a On30 4-8-4 would be nice or a 2-8-4, 4-8-2, what ever. Something with imagination. Even a GE wide-cab GP60 in On30 would be cool.

I hope you take this seriously. Us On30 fans get models primarily from two (2) places, 1. scratch built models we make, or 2. You. I would love to see more locomotives.

Fred

a 4-8-4 in On30 is not wholly far-fetched. The 3' gauge Londonderry & Lough Swilly Rly in Ireland had 2 4-8-4 tanks and 2 very handsome 4-8-0 tender versions.
But I suspect most of us would prefer locos based on prototypes, even if we then customise them a bit.

Ken Clark

The FCA&B (Chile) operated OF 2-8-4T's while still 2"6" gauge
      The Rio Turbo  (Argentina) has rebuilt a couple of their IF 2-10-2s for tourist service
      The Patagonian National (aka Esquel in Argentina) operates IF & OF 2-8-2's

2&1/2FT gauge Articulated Locomotives 2-6-0+0-6-2T
                                                                 2-6-6-2
                                                                 2-6-0+0-6-4T
                                                                 2-6-2+2-6-2T

Lots of larger locomotive's to choose from.

Ken Clark

Ballard Southern

Good thread.   I love On30 specifically because I can imagineer it any way I want.  I like to think of it as an opportunity to project the "history" of narrow gauge into modern times.  I'm another who would really, really (repeat as necessary) love to see some non-critter diesels, nice production models of equivalents of the SW's and RS's.   Likewise a wider variety of cars representing service in a wider variety of industries.   I'm fortunate to be here in Seattle, so I'll be at the narrow gauge convention in Sept, looking hard for new On30 possibilities.

Dick Wightman
Ballard Southern
Dick Wightman
Ballard Southern Railroad
The On30 Diesel Route
24 Hour Service - The BS never stops!

Hamish K

Quote from: Ken Clark on July 20, 2012, 04:14:39 PM

The FCA&B (Chile) operated OF 2-8-4T's while still 2"6" gauge
      The Rio Turbo  (Argentina) has rebuilt a couple of their IF 2-10-2s for tourist service
      The Patagonian National (aka Esquel in Argentina) operates IF & OF 2-8-2's

2&1/2FT gauge Articulated Locomotives 2-6-0+0-6-2T
                                                                 2-6-6-2
                                                                 2-6-0+0-6-4T
                                                                 2-6-2+2-6-2T

Lots of larger locomotive's to choose from.

Ken Clark

Sierra Leone had 4-8-2+2-8-4 Garratt locomotives on the 30 inch gauge to add to the list of large 30 inch gauge locomotives.

On30 has always consisted of a diverse range of meodellers, including, in no particular order