News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MADISON CARS

Started by 671, March 06, 2011, 12:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I HAVE THE FULL SET (5) OF MADISON CARS "LUXURY LINES". MY CHALLENGE HAS BEEN WITH "RUB OUTS" ON THE CENTER ROLLER WIRE. THIS WIRE COMES IN CONTACT WITH THE WHEELS ON TURNS CAUSING A "RUB OUT" SHORT. ANY IDEAS ON RE-ROUTING THIS WIRE? HAS ANYONE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM AND A RELIABLE REPAIR?

THANKS.....671

papa3376

Hi 671,  I just looked at mine and I see that the wire comes straight back off the pickup roller and goes into the light bulb socket mount hole just to one side or the other.  Are yours routed like that?  Do you have a lot of excess wire hanging that could be pulled up inside the car to reduce slack.  Maybe others have a better idea on this.  Regards,  George

phillyreading

I have a couple of six car sets of passenger cars from the Williams before Bachmann time. Have almost the same problem with my passenger cars, the wires keep coming off at the light bulb sockets. Reading King Coal and Santa Fe el Capitan passenger sets.

The only suggestion that I can see is to use a more flexible wires to the light bulbs from the center rail roller wheel.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

It seems to me that the closer to the bolster that the wire drops down (through the frame or hanging from the underside of the frame), the better.

How about sending a wire down through a hollow bolster rivet?

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I should have some time this weekend to try these repairs. I let you know the outcome. I think the re-routing combined with softer wire should do the trick.

Thanks...671

Thanks again for the heads up, JOE and Philly. 
     I pulled as much wire as possible out of the chassis of the Madison car, straightened the wire ( removed the loop ) pulled half the wire towards the center of the car, bent it back towards the center pickup.
     This proved to be the simple "repair". The wire no longer "Rubs Out".
Simple fix.

Thanks ...671

3rail

Dear 671,

We changed the wire routing many years ago.  The wires go inside the car, hook the two rollers together an then the go to the light bulbs sockets to prevent the problem caused by flexing.  We also have shrink tubing on the connection at the roller pickup to relieve the stress at that point.

Regards,

3rail