News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How can I make my Bachmann locos quieter?

Started by Kyle, March 10, 2011, 03:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle

Hello,

I was just wondering if there is any way I can make my locos run quieter.  I have a few F9 units that sound like blenders when they run. Does anybody have any practical suggestions?
Please don't say buy new ones.  Thanks.

???

Doneldon

Kyle-

I won't say that you can make them quieter by buying new ones; however, I can guarantee that they'll be quieter if you don't feed 'em any electricity. But I'm pretty sure you already knew that.

Seriously, making them quieter does require either time or money, and often both. If you haven't already done so, run your locos in both directions and through both right and left hand turns for an hour or so. That sometimes helps, just how much seems to be dependent on the individual locomotive, not the brand or prototype. The next step would be a remotoring. Inexpensive locos generally have relatively cheaply made motors. A quality can motor from a respected supplier like NWSL should help quite a bit. This change usually isn't much work in an F unit. Depending on the locos' manufacturers, you might also consider changing the drive mechanisms, or at least the gear towers. That will run to more money and significantly more work in most cases. I do know one fellow who puts a small spot of silicone sealant, like for a bathtub edge or caulk, on his motors, gear cases and inside of the shell in order to reduce the resonance and thereby cut down the noise. It seems to my ear to help a little but I think changing the motor returns the most quietness for the effort expended.

I guess that my last paragraph shows why folks have joked with you that the way to have quieter locos is to buy new ones. The money spent on higher quality equipment (not just locos) often returns more in terms of better operation and quietness than the added cost. So keep that in mind for future purchases.
                                                                                                             -- D

bobwrgt

If they are 4 whhel drive with traction tires you can't do much to them. Just a bit of oil is all.
Get a new 8 wheel drive engine and make your old one into a dummy.
Bob

Jim Banner

Do your F-9s have DCC decoders in them?  Bachmann decoders tend to be noisy but can be replaced with silent ones.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Burto

I have purchased about 30 Bachmann locos during the past four months.I do not have a problem with noise.Show me a real life locomotive that does not make a noise.Obviously if you have a squeal or a screech then look for something untoward, but noise is part of normal operation.I am awaiting the arrival of a BLI and an Athearn and I'll compare.I have some 70's Lima locos and the Bachmanns are about the same or even quieter.My Fairbanks Morse N&W with the dual flywheel motor arrived yesterday from The Favorite Spot,along with a second Conrail Dash 8 and other Bachmann stuff.I'm wrapped in the Fairbanks Morse so I have ordered the Virginian livery.
BURTO from'Downunder"

BradKT

If you are using EZ-track, your hollow plastic roadbed will amplify the noise.  Cork roadbed or some similar material will dampen the noise.  The difference is like night and day.